Saturday, February 10, 2007

Honey and frost and ancient wrecks

A few years ago I discovered desert wines. As a rule I'm strictly a dry wine drinker, preferably rich and full-bodied and red. With a hint of chocolate and some ripe jammy stuff. But I'm a sucker for descriptions (and book covers) and when I read about "honeyed fruit with smokey undertones" I had to try it.
Very nice with coffee. Mmmm :)

In honour of the Birthday boy, we went out for dinner tonight. (at a smart and sparkly restaurant in town). Unfortunately, last night we went to the pub and Barney was plied with strong drink and had a hangover this morning. Possibly because he also gave up smoking in the early hours of today and has now got a nicotine patch as well as a hangover, or possibly because he may have a bug, he isn't feeling too good. We came home without pudding and now I'm having coffee and desert wine. (and he's watching football with a cup of tea).
In fact we've both spent the day lounging around in a slightly disassociated state (I've no idea what my excuse is, I'm sure I didn't drink very much last night). And earlier this evening, the dog did his fast forward to the other end of the lead thing. Last time he did this I fell down the stone steps in the garden and considered myself lucky not to have my neck broken so tonight, I braced myself as he vanished and so didn't fall down any steps. Instead, when he reached the end of the lead at high velocity, my hand was crushed against the back door. So now I have minor lacerations all over the back of my hand, a twisted wrist and stiff fingers. As well as the stiff knees and ankle (from all the trudging around with the camera in various weather). Add to that a suggestion of toothache and an urgent desire to be asleep in bed without having made any effort to get there and you'll get the general picture. And Barney is feeling his age and soothing his hangover!
What a pair of ancient wrecks!
As you can see, I have absolutely nothing of interest or import to say tonight.
I think I'll just post some pictures and go to bed.

I'm very fond of this stand of pines and on a frosty morning, they're irresistable.

This picture* reminds me of John Millais' Ophelia (minus Ophelia herself of course. At least I didn't see her floating anywhere in there). In fact when I looked the painting up I could see that there was almost no resemblance at all except a certain amount of green wetness. So often the way with memories and reminders.
*That's this picture, not the other one. The other one doesn't remind me of anything much, it's just a nice pond:)

Labels:

7 comments:

At 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best thing for a hangover...water. Lots of water. Hope Barney is feeling better!

Delightful photos as usual my pretty...take care of those hands!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh

:-(

I hope your hand gets better soon. . . and the rest of you

:-)

what an amazing photo, that last one - I mean ALL your pictures are woonderful, but the relections and the pond weed. . .

I'm lost for words!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Mel said...

I wanna pond.

I wanna pond like YOUR pond.
Maybe with some fishies and minus mosquitos, of course.

Take care of that hand.
And consider leaving the lead outdoors, hooked up so you're not in the path of this superboltingpup?

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no pudding? You'll have to get some chocolate pots and lemon shots in as back up should this ever happen again. Sorry about your hand, I hope Barney's feeling better and had a good birthday. Well done him for the smoking thing which I must tackle shortly!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Hair of the dog maybe? Take one off the pup as revenge for the lead incident :-)

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thank you all for the wishes..Barney's hangover seems to have gone and my hand hurts when I pick up heavy things! Oh dear, I'd better not do too much of that then :)

It's my own fault though! I'd better consider tying the dog in knots before letting him out of the door Mel...Good thought about the hair Samantha, I shall strip him bare. That'll teach him!

We survived the lack of pudding Thursday but you're right, a stock of lemon and chocolate shots ought to be in every household's larder.

Thankyou I, it was worth the bramble scrambling and wet foot then:)

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

well worth it! hope the hand is recovering

 

Post a Comment

<< Home