Tuesday, January 30, 2007

There's a perversity which shapes our ends

And I'm not talking about my feet (though some deeply perverse deity was in on their design, I tell you)
I was supposed to be swimming today and then meeting Frangelita in Oxford to look at places for her and HF to live. Swimming happens at 12.00 so that leaves me a couple of hours in the morning to do various tasks and then I could have left straight after swimming and had a couple of hours in Oxford. Perversely, today is fiddle teacher's (also swimming companion) over 50's morning. ( We all get together and play our newest practiced pieces or listen to a clever, musical person talk about or demonstrate something that they're good at).
Which is from 10.00 to 12.00.

Which means suddenly, as I'm ambling around in a dopey morning state, I realise that I have NO TIME to do important tasks and must leave immediately and still arive late. So after the O50 thing I have to go back and do important tasks. No time left for getting to Oxford and seeing new homes.

This was rather depressing as I enjoy doing things like this with Frangelita and have done it quite a few times since she left our home for various other places like Uni and Newmarket.

Still the O50 thing was interesting. The subject was accompanying, the performers, a pianist and his wife (a singer). As we over fifties are all late starters of one kind or another in the musical world, we all have middle aged anxieties to cope with. and it turns out that the singer herself had to abandon the clarinet (repetitive strain injury) and took up solo singing at a late age and had interesting things to say about nerves and performance.

And that brings me round to the particular perversity that had me learning to play a fiddle at 35 (yes, I know, just a baby really) and doing exams as if my life depended on it. Two essential requirements for this were practising hard and regularly (and with a kind of manic commitment) and performing in front of a critical audience. Both of which I don't, didn't and can't do! In fact, I had to change my essential self. I really worked hard at it! (I'm talking 2-6 hours a day hard). For some ten years. The perverseness was enormous! The nerves gave me the shakes....I don't know if it's possible to explain how impossible, frustrating, despairing, ridiculous, infuriating it is to play a long, soft sweet note with a shaking hand/bow/ fiddle/body....Especially if, that very morning, it was the best note in the whole piece. Pah! And Bah!
And don't mention scales, arpeggios and the other thing which is so awful I can't remember what it's called even. Something to do with intervals and cadences (which all sound very nice if you aren't trying to remember what they're called).

In the end, I sort of gave up on trying to make myself be what I wasn't and though I still would like to do just one more exam and have a complete set (1 to 8), I've lost the total absorption you need to move from being able to play most of the notes in approximately the order intended by the composer to being able to convey something of the rest of what the composer intended.

Snowdrops. Perverse snowdrops, coming out in January. Still no more snow though.

These snowdrops should have been there last night...however it wasn't blogger's fault they weren't. I uploaded them, and cut an pasted to the bottom of the post. Only I forgot the paste bit! Still on the clipboard this morning!
I'm pretty sure that wasn't what happened the other day though :)

Labels: , ,

5 comments:

At 2:37 AM, Blogger Kata said...

I feel your fiddling pain my sista..I took up violin at 40, having had no other musical experience besides some (bad) drumming in the 80's. My teacher coerced me into doing a recital (embarassing, yet motivating experience)...

All I want is to sound like a gypsy when I play dammit! Anxiously awaiting more perversion....

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Wow--now that's an overwhelming lesson in perseverence!
I am glad you got to the O50's doings---but darn that it meant not getting to do the househunting. I've been included in that with the girl since her first dorm--it's great fun and really wonderful that she still thinks to include me. I know how I'd miss that..so drat for you and her.

*checking weather report*

We're at minus four degrees fahrenheit.

DEFINITELY cold!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

ah!!! snowdrops - my favourites! and you don't often see them surrounded by crackly brown leaves. . .

what an interesting photo!

and the perversity in your post is astounding!

when we were young and had piano lessons, we had to perform at recitals (something our music teacher thought was "a good thing") - I hated it! and suffered terrible nerves too, so played really badly; my little brother, who was one of those chldren who only needed to hear a piece of music once to be able to just sit and play it, told me the other day that he can't even remember how to read music now

so much for being an early starter!

(my 75 year old neighbour is in a "late" starters orchestra - he travels all over Europe playing at different venues and meeting other "late" starters - he has a marvellous time!)


I'm full of admiration for "late starters" but isn't that a funny notion? that just because you didn't do something "early" you are now "late" for it?

hope the house hunting is going well!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

It's all about the perversity at the moment, eh? I missed you:-)

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I would love to sound like a gypsy Mangey but I don't quite seem to. Plenty of time yet! Music teachers always seem to think it'll be good for their pupils to do recitals...mine used to take all her pupils as a group to play at schools and we each had to play a tiny solo. Actually worked quite well!
I shall attempt further perversions :)

I was sad about missing the househunting Mel! But I hear she did ok without me...can't wait to hear how she got on :)

I wonder if your neighbour belongs to the orchestra that was in the National papers when it started I, I wanted to join them but I couldn't have travelled to London to rehearse!


I was with you in spirit Frangelita :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home