Sunday, April 06, 2008

Upload and be merry

For tomorrow we may have no internet. Well I definitely won't. Elder Sister don't have stuff like that and her son has security issues. Also, I have 'how do you get this thing to work in an unfamiliar environment' issues. And he's a Mac user which means neither of us could make each other's thing work.
So todady, Eldest and Northern Girl and Me (and Marmite)*Went to Grizedale Forest.** Now I am accustomed to ambling, sometimes backwards and sideways while walking since my main aim is to see everything and then take photos of it. Eldest and Northern girl and Marmite have a completely different kind of modus operandi. More along the lines of lets walk to the top of that mountain and then march briskly (pausing only to throw things for Marmite and check that there are no sheep*** round the corner) on and away across the hills and dales and through the forests.
To be fair, they were extremely tolerant of my unfitness and slowness and long pauses to take 15 photos where only one will come out right. Also, it's possible I would never have got as far as Grizedale on my own, since as we drove towards it, we passed some quite beautiful landscapes, lit dramatically in the rainwet sunlight and backdropped with astounding clouds and rainfall. Me, I would have parked the car every ten seconds, jumped out and run backwards along the road waving the camera.
Still, I can't complain about seeing distant, almost ghostly hills


And quite fairytale-like woods.

Which I may change when I get home since I'm not confident about the colours on the laptop.
So now, unaccustomed as I am to long, fast walking (Ok, not very long, rather slow walking for about two hours on a mild, very beautiful day) I will take my battered feet and aching back and twisted knees to bed. Pausing only to have a fag and a cup of tea. and to lock the doors, put books on the chair***** and give Marmite his peanut butter-,smeared bedtime toy.
Sunday tomorrow. Let's enjoy it :)

*Isn't he the sweetest looking dog ? :)
**Beautiful. Sort of West of Windermere but you have to go a long way South first to avoid Morecambe Bay and various mountain ranges and uncharted valleys.
***Marmite has an unfortunate and quite unrequited passion for Sheep. In the Lake District, where sheep are important (think of those rare breeds which know how to find their way around the mountains and the storms and the raging torrents****) Dogs which get too involved with sheepM in the wrong way, get shot.
****Apparently, the Lakeland Sheep have an understanding of how to live on the fells and how to survive weather and where to go to find grass and stuff which they teach or somehow pass on to their offspring. It's a bit like Salmon traveling the Atlantic and still Knowing how to find their Scottish spawning grounds.
*****Marnite isn't allowed to sleep on the chairs. *sh

Labels: , , , ,

5 comments:

At 2:49 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I do apologise for the many typos but I simply can't be doing with opening it up all over again. I hope you can read it :)

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Mel said...

LOL It's very readable, Mig--no worries.

*sigh* Such a pretty puppy--even with this passion for sheep.

And I'm such a meanderer--me and my 'oh look---a chicken!' way of living sends me in all sorts of directions at a much different pace than the rest of best around me.
Ah, but you SEE things you woulda missed if you were keeping up with the rest of the best.
And we get magnificent photos of 'em.
Who could want for more!

Safe journey, Mig!
Enjoy visiting your loved ones!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Sorrow said...

Love the Fairy woods...
Makes me want to find a good niche and take a rest...
maybe next month...
Smiles...

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I'm with sorrow, those fairy woods are unbelievably delightful!

(typos? who cares. . .)

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I nearly said "Oh look a chicken" to Eldest and Northern Girl, Mel but I was distracted by a passing crow :) anyway the journeys were really good thank you :)
Oh Sorrow thank you, I hope things are getting easier.
The woods were a treat I in spite of the walking :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home