Thursday, April 03, 2008

Gaah. Erb. Glub.

I went to the Hygienist today. Voluntarily, by myself, without anyone to hold my hand.
It just doesn't seem right that something which is 'good' for you can be so completely totally unpleasant.
She told me last time that since my teeth are so sensitive, we'd have an hour long deep cleaning session this time and we'd use local anasthetic. And we'd have to do it twice. Somehow, I don't think she was trying to reassure me.
I have to say, in fairness, that once the needly bit was over, most of the right side of my mouth vanished. The noise and the vibrations and the trickling of excess water all happened as usual but all the effects were felt over on the other side.
She said "I'm afraid there are more teeth with deeper pockets in the gums on the other side so it'll take longer next time. (see, I told you she wasn't trying to reassure me).
Well, I've been warned about how the teeth will all be sensitive for a while (she mentioned cold water and food but she didn't mention breathing outside!)
She suggested Nurofen (I wondered about alcohol but it occurred to me that pouring nice wine into half a mouth would be a bit of a waste of time - especially since liquid tends to dribble out of the missing half after you've poured it into the present half).
The thing that really worries me is, what with these deep pockets, how can I eat without making this whole thing necesary all over again in a few months time?
Oh well. My mouth has returned and apart from the bit that I accidentally bit when I was eating dinner it all doesn't seem too bad. It was interesting at one stage during the return of the mouth that a glass of not very cold water felt quite warm on the returning side while the unvanished side was convinced that it was really cold .
It'll be soup and yoghurt and bananas for a day or two. And Ill be keeping the toothpaste on the radiator.
Now it's time for bed and toothbrushing. I wonder, should I put the toothpaste in the microwave for a few seconds?
Sleep well :)

Labels:

4 comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Owie.

k...... Did you zap the toothpaste?
LOL I just wanna know if it works!

*hugs*

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Sadly Mel, the toothpaste tube seems to have metal bits round the top. It would probably be a a mistake to blow up the microwave just to keep my teeth warm!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

no no no

sorry, I had to stop reading when I got to the word "hygenist"

just can't go there. . . did once and had to leave after about ten minutes and almost threw up. . . can't even read about it - what happened with the toothpaste and the microwave then?

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Chickened out I :) And if the dentist (bad enough, him) hadn't assured me, in solemn tones and with a hint of menace, that my teeth needed the*umentionableness* to save their lives I wouldn't ever go there either!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home