Tuesday, March 11, 2008

T'was a wild and stormy night

And the Captain and crew were all gathered round the cabin table watching the compasses roll in their gimbals and the shadows from the swaying lanterns swing up and down the dark wooden walls while the ship rocked and creaked and the rigging sang, the Captain said to his Mate,
"tell us a story Mate!"
And the First Mate said
"AARRRGH! well. T'was a wild and stormy night and the Captain and crew were all gathered round the cabin table watching the compasses roll in their gimbals and the shadows from the swaying lanterns swing up and down the dark wooden walls while the ship rocked and creaked and the rigging sang, the Captain said to his Mate, " tell us a story, Mate!" And the First Mate said"AARRRGH!....Well...."
And the Captain said "Oh not that story again Mate. Tell you what, have you heard the one about the three camels, the pastry djinn and the tin opener?"
"No" said the Mate rather huffily.
"You know, the one with twelve Arab maidens and a roc?"
"No" said the Mate again.
"Oh. Pity." said the Captain. "Neither have I"

Anyway. It was a wild and stormy night and the next day also and I had the interesting experience of leaning into the wind (which promptly dropped. Me.) while trying to focus on a rather pretty church in Stanford Dingley.

It's no good. I've studied cameras indepth, online, atpub and even injessops.
The one I eventually decide I want will be too expensive. There's not much point, I feel, in moving to a different kind of camera (DSLR) if I can only afford one which doesn't have most of the features I've become accustomed to in my beloved point and shoot Lumix.
the Lumix has x12 zoom and a nice viewing screen which can be rotated so you can see your shot from up above your head or from in between your feet. It has antishake and does good colour and as long as there's reasonable light, will take a good picture in most circumstances.
It has failings, which a good DSLR would not have. But if I didn't have the viewing screen and the antishake I might not be able to take advantage of the better things about the DSLR. And without the built in zoom, I'd have to add a hugely expensive zoom lens to get close ups but not as close up as I can now.
To get the sort of camera which will combine what I already have with the extra quality I want would cost more than I'm prepared to pay. Yet.
Really, I need to use one in real life to see what I can do with it before taking on extra lenses and huge expenses.
Anyone got a DSLR they want to lend me for a week or two? :)

Storm beaten church at Stanford Dingley
Wise old tree, watching me
Stars (dancing in the wind) in a leafy firmament
A golden evening (still stormy though)
Got to do some stuff now. I hope your week is going well and that whatever you need is happening.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 comments:

At 12:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful, beautiful pictures!

:-)

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh thank you Dash :)

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Mel said...

What a beautiful old church with the newness of spring flowers pushing through......

*sigh*

And if anything, buy time! Good grief--technology zips all around and prices of today become changed so quickly! Which is a very good thing!

Not unlike you, I need that anti-shake, show me what I've got the camera focused on and focus it FOR me features....LOL
And I still end up with fuzzy blurry things. LOL

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger the Beep said...

i don;t think you'd encounter the problems with a DSLR that you mention: I am confident you would not regret the move up, and once you get used to it and have it set for your way of shooting (I always use aperture priority), I can't see shake being an issue (and if it is, just bump the ISO up a notch). As for zooming, well most come with a wide to zoom as standard and you can always zoom in on the 'editing table'. They capture so much detail: mine is only 6.5MP, but it captures so much detail, it's fast to react, instant response and I ADORE it.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thank you Mel, I found out today that the church is 12/13th Century! Such a pretty place :) And yes, buying time is the thing :)

It certainly sounds like a nice camera Beep :) And you take lovely photos with it. I would miss being able to wave the camera above my head or between my feet and still see what I'm going to get though. I didn't know bumping up the ISO would compensate for shake! I don't often go above ISO 80 on mine because of the noise.
Anyway, I'll have to think some (lots) more!

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Sorrow said...

sigh ,
all this talk of camera's..
some day
I'll wish upon those lovely stars twinkling on that bed of green!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Yeah! Some day for me too Sorrow :)
I expect there are a lot of camera wishes floating around the aether :)

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

love the wise old tree. . .

and the stars in their green firmament!

(however you spelt it!)

xxx

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

:)
xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home