Tuesday, March 04, 2008

On hygiene and health at the end of the day

I am not an expert on hygiene. No really, even though, when working in school kitchens, I took a health and hygiene exam (and passed, I'll have you know - it took me twenty minutes out of the allotted 2 hours - but hey, if you're offered questions like "which of these things must you never do in a kitchen - 1. wash all surfaces every night 2. mop the floors before leaving or 3. flush the leftover food down the toilet?" it's hard to maintain interest for more than five minutes)
But I have this gut feeling that a thermos lid with an 'easy-pouring' attachment which can neither be removed or opened and won't admit the smallest of cleaning implements will probably be seething with interesting bacterial cultures. Certainly, when I attempt to clean Barney's every so often, it takes me about half an hour to rinse and shake out all the gunk which has glued itself in there. I simply refuse to use the attachment and just unscrew the lid in the old fashioned way, keeping the attachment as tightly fastened as possible.
Similarly, when the children were little I used to despair of getting the deposits of juice and stuff off the insides of the tiny sucking lids of beakers. Some of which came with similar 'easy-pour' type lids. Some of which, indeed, even came with complex lids and attachments which you couldn't get into at all.
Oh, just soak it in steriliser, they say airily. Right. Is that the stuff which destroys 99% of all known germs? So is that 99% of all germs of every known kind or is it 99% of the varieties of germs which we know about? Possibly they don't even discommode one or two varieties at all. And even if it's 99% of all known kinds of all germs, the other 1% will be blithely learning resistance and multiplying away in there.
I dare not even ask what is or isn't covered by the euphemistic 'germs'. since it's a term that belongs to the days before we knew that bacteria and viruses existed and weren't the same thing and long before anyone had discovered MRSA and all the other stuff we no doubt bring home from hospitals and dribble into our cups and lids.

Speaking of which, I wonder if hospitals use 'easy-pouring' lids and beaker tops for children and elderly people who have difficulty drinking from a regular, open topped cup! Hmmmm?
Last night I asked a friend of mine about this (she's a nurse) and she said yes they do use those - oh well they go through a dishwasher and the steam sterilises them. Hmm.
Here are yesterday's sunsets

And later I just happened to look up at the window - I was about to think, time to draw the curtains. But guess what happened instead.
And some time today, either when tying the dog to my leg or perhaps when untying him from a tree, the camera did this. I've no idea what the camera thought it was doing but I quite like it :)

4 comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Wow......looks like a very cool oil painting, that lastest one.

And might I comment that the sunsets (and the twilight!) were well worth waiting for. :-)

Now, don't forget I'm the woman with the goobers that go down the side of her whitecups. (darn whitecups)
Germs, bacteria......pshaw!
Our ancestors lived in spite of 'em....so shall we!

*going to look for the anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-germystuff wipes now!*

******note to self--NO covered cups EVER!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Mel, I completely agree. Myself I'm perfectly happy with goobers and all such things that can be rinsed off and gone with a splash of water.
It's the concealed and inaccessible nasties that make me cross :)
And pshaw also to all anti-fungibacterial stuff. I believe they cause as much trouble as they save.

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Sorrow said...

Germs?
I know you remember BOY FUNK, that strange odor that comes from adolescent unwashed males that sneak food into their rooms that begins to take on a life of it's own, or the clothing that crawls to the hamper after being worn for days on end, "wash me please" it screams! I have caught the little bugger drinking from the milk jug, and wiping the mouth with his sleeve. The same sleeve that has been on his arm for at least 4 days...
The only upside is it keeps the girls away...
:-)
Your sunsets...sigh what can I say?
Absolutely lovely.
The difference between my photos and yours?
Yours ARE ART!
mine are snap shots...
Now, would you like to see my people pictures? I can capture an expression!
LOL

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Ooh yes Sorrow :) I do remember that odor. When Eldest left home, I removed his cola can collection - all six big black binbags full! The other three bags held all the other 'interesting' remains :)
Thank you for your appreciation :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home