Sunday, March 09, 2008

An old married couple of water babies

That's what we are.
34 years today.

Did I mention the washing machine is leaking?
Oddly enough, so is the 'new' (handydown) dishwasher.
I'm spending the morning trotting into the utility room to peer at the floor beneath the washing machine in a kind of fascination to see when and how far the leak will appear and spread. Then trotting back to see how much is in the plastic box under the dishwasher.
The dog has been trotting hopefully after me and sniffing helpfully at the various parts of floor.

But now, Barney and the dog have walked to the pub - well, they're on the way. The sun shone brightly on their departure and now the sky has clouded over with ominous swiftness. A chill and damp wind has sprung up.
I think it's possible that when I get there to collect them I will find that they've got wet.
And together with the fact that I forgot it was our anniversary* I think this may mean Barney has had a character building day. The dog however will not have minded any of it - his character is already perfectly built and in spite of his age he is forever hopeful and young at heart. All he will think is how wonderful it was to smell wet things and shake his wet fur over everyone at the pub.
Actually, Barney is also forever hopeful and young at heart (except when he's being a grumpy old man) and so before collecting him I will go in search of delicious pudding to warm his cockles later after dinner.

*He wasn't too upset - he's used to my forgetfullness. It's not a sign of old age you see, I've always been forgetful about dates since I was very small. Sometimes I wonder how I ever remembered any numbers long enough to learn to count.

2 comments:

At 2:54 AM, Blogger Mel said...

:-)

Young at heart and hopeful...loving and a bit zany.
You two are perfectly matched for another 34!

Congratulations, lady.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thank you Mel :)
Love to you too :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home