Saturday, February 17, 2007

Passionately grumpy

Is that a contradiction in terms?
We watched 'the grumpy guide to food and wine' tonight and it was occasionally very funny.
Oddly, though the grumpy people had many enjoyably sour and tasteless things to say about the annoyances and pitfalls of eating out, none of them mentioned the currently popular necessity to be passionate about food.

Are you pasionate about food? Myself I like it quite a lot, (and quite a lot of it) however, I restrain myself from passion.
It seems reasonable to me to be passionate about, say, justice, a person or art. But food?* Umm, surely a little indiscriminate, even a bit odd, no?
Well maybe I'm being a boring old fart (can a woman be one of those or is this a male prerogative?), but I do think that if we're not careful, we'll be getting indiscriminately passionate about all sorts of nice ordinary things and I do feel that passion over something intended to fill the stomach, is, well, a bit silly...I can understand food being a source of deep pleasure or satisfaction or delight, not to mention enjoyable repletion...but perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of passion?

I am getting a bit tired of TV chefs, presenters, and all sorts of odds and sods declaiming that they are etc etc or that they could only hire waitresses who are etc etc or that the chef at their favourite restaurant is etc etc. Really it does sound so extreme. And though the first time I heard Jamie or Gordon or somebody or other saying it I just thought it amusingly precious, it's beginning to get on my nerves now everyone's saying it at every opportunity!

And just think about what happens to food after you've eaten it...no let's not go there.

(I suppose this chap is passionate about chickens).

Have a great weekend (if you haven't already by the time I get this together) and do enjoy your sunday dinner:)

*depends maybe on whether you consider cooking is an art or a science. Or not.**

**Well I suppose if you consider it a science you might feel it's reasonable to be passionate about science?***

***But then I don't find the majority of these passionate foodie people very scientific.****

****Except Heston Blumenthal of course.

Labels:

8 comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger Mel said...

NO passion for food here.

It's fuel and it's required.
And it ought not touch on your plate.
;-)


I like the chickens huddled around the tree.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I love food and I love cooking but the only celeb chef I have any time for is Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, and I wouldnt even care if he wasnt cooking anything - he could just BE there :-)
Too much of a hoo-ha made about the whole cooking on the telly thing, if you ask me.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Mangonel said...

I had a monster crush on Nigella Lawson until I heard Charles Saatchi is so besotted with her HE BRUSHES HER TEETH.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh I know what you mean about passion

or use of the word passion

or overuse of the word passion

(personally I think the one thing we should all be passionate about at the moment is saving the planet)

mind you, live and let live, eh!

oh - I'm passionate about your photos, and your news 'n' views; see, maybe passionate is the wrong word? I love your photos - der, now that won't do either

if only we were all psychic - then you'd know exactly what I meant without my having to try and find the right word. . .

oh, I've ended up in right old mess now!

*goes off in a grump*

;-)

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

(how many times did I over-use the two letter word thingy "oh" above!)

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

OK mel...there's passion at one end and there's fuel at the other:) Life would be dull if we weren't all different :)
Oh I have time for Jolly Olly...I think he may have done well for school kids. I served dinners in school kitchens for two years and the stuff we gave those children doesn't bear thinking about.
Words fail me Mangonel! Utterly!
Hi and welcome :)

I have a friend I who had a thing about polite nothings that we say...eventually I started saying "thankyou a little bit" if he passed me something. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to say the exact thing you mean! Sometimes it would just be hard work though and psychic abilities would be a great help :)
There was an interesting programme on tonight about some wild and wonderful inventions for intervening in global warming.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

thank you (a little bit!)

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home