Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The last day approaches


I had a funny old day at work today. Boss is on holiday till the end of the month and so I got quite a lots of daily stuff entered and organised. I can't anticipate from one moment to the next whether I'm going to think, "this other person is going screw up everything I've done" or "I've never known where to put these payments I bet the new person will know exactly what to do with them and I bet she'll know how to do all sorts of things much faster than I can". I can even see where she will save time and how I would too if only I knew a bit more.
Fact is it's going to hurt me if she screws up my (Boss's of course, not mine at all) nice tidy accounts and it's going to hurt me if she copes easily. And anyway I won't be in a position to know. That's going to hurt me too. (when I got to this thought I nearly went home...that is to say, nearly persuaded the stupid and unco-operative backing up/networking system to do me a couple of CDs and a hard drive back up...at least we don't have to back up to 5 floppies any more...I mean she won't have to..or Boss won't have to...whoever).
The nub of it is, I know when there's something odd about the data I'm being given...like it looks a lot like an proforma invoice we had two months ago but it's a different amount. Aha, one of the cello cases is missing otherwise it's the same invoice. It's an update. This unidentified cardnet slip is probably a bow rehair...but is it for the invoice that's been filed as unpaid or is it for one that hasn't been made out because the customer didn't need one. or is it that invoice for a different repair that's been hanging around for six months? Will she know?
On the other hand. I suspect that these insurance payments aren't all personal at all even though Boss thinks they are, but I don't know how they should be entered. I don't know where these amounts for lunches and stuff should go but they've been paid for with the company debit card. She'll know.
And at the root of it all, the stuff that comes out of the machine is garbage. Some of it. GIGA notwithstanding. Anything I've entered, I can find and identify and say why it's there. Anything the programme does with it is beyond me.

We live and learn. I've never lost a job before though I've left loads. I never thought I'd care about a lot of numbers and bits of paper or that I'd give a toss about losing a job for the job's sake. Now I'm learning that I do.

OK. I've had a whinge. I'll keep quiet about it for a while. Sorry if it's dull :)
Barney's Wisteria
Coming home after rain

and looking out in the evening sun

5 comments:

At 1:00 AM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

Oh! wisteria. :}

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Kata said...

That photo from inside looking out is stunning!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger frangelita said...

I think you're allowed to whinge. Don't worry, it will work out.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

but doesn't that rainbow give you hope?

why does the wisteria look pink when the light is shining thru it, but blue when the light is shining at it?

something physics based no doubt about light and colour and spectrums; bit like the rainbow, I suppose. . .

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I always think wisteria is visually onomatopoeic. It sounds wistful and it looks all wistfully droopy.

Hi, Icecold, nice to see you here and thanks, I'm glad you like them.

For a good rainbow, I'll drop everything, I, even jobless thoughts :)
the purple wisteria was taken on a dull grey afternoon and the pink (which I think is the real colour) on a pink sunny evening. I think the camera's auto exposure thought different things about colour in the two different coloured lights.

Thanks Ruby and Fran :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home