Monday, May 15, 2006

Oh, I don't know...ducklings and rain I suppose.*

I so love this camera...look! droplets of water** :)


It's raining today. Which is fine really, the garden needs rain to grow to it's full jungley potential. Also it means Nutmeg won't spend more than a few minutes out in the wet before pleading to be let back in. He is such a wimp.


I spent most of Saturday doing stuff with the printer. I bought some postcard printing paper a while ago, thinking I could make use of some of my prints. Unfortunately the paper is rubbish. The pics came out as if through a screen of mud. In fact a methodical trial of every kind of paper I posess showed that the best results...possibly the only acceptable results, come from Canon's own brand pro paper. Not really suitable for postcards and only usable as greeting cards if stuck on some sort of matt background. So I now have some five or six pages of prints of GB looking enchanting but sort of greenish, in the playground.
But also several deeply satisfying glossy A4 size prints from various things I've posted here.
I also discovered that though Picasa does a nice 4 to a page arrangement, if the pictures have been cropped in any way, it just rounds them down, as it were, to fit the space. So instead of having a long thin picture in a long fat space, it gives me 2/3rds of a picture blown up to fit the space. Why on earth couldn't it just leave the picture as it was?
Adobe on the other hand will put 4 pictures on a page in the right proprtions. But only 4 of the same picture.
It just goes to show that specific design only works if you're the right kind of specific. I never am. Which is why all my trousers have bits taken in round the waist and tucked up at the ends.
I need a zoom cloud.***

*Title...haven't got time for them.
**I hope you can see them.
***nothing to do with printing or ducklings, I just need one.

4 comments:

At 5:39 AM, Blogger Kata said...

Those ducklings are way too cute! I feel your printer pain my pet..my printer hates me and throws things at me when I'm not looking....

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I use cartridge paper from the local art shop. . . and Bockingfords do a good (if hideously expensive) "watercolour" paper that you can print onto (but I really do mean hideously expensive)

the ink colour seems to come out far purer on a good quality cartridge paper, and the texture of the Bockingford paper is lovely too

are you PC or Mac? can't help with a Mac; but personally find that the bext printing results come thru the photo printing wizard which is part of the "My Pictures" function on Windows XP (or whatever it is)

(Picassa did that collage thing of the reed beds and made me really cross in the meantime)

you probably weren't asking for help, just writing; so sorry to take up so much comment space!

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Cartridge paper! I didn't know you could use that for printing. I'm very grateful I, for your thoughts. I had a look at the printing wizard but it says it's going to 'crop to fit' which is what I don't want. Have just bouhgt a cut price Adobe album program which says it will do several pictures to a page so maybe that will do what I want.
and hey, long comments are fun!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Hi Mig, nearly caught up with your blog. Best prog for printing I have had recommended and now use exclusively is Qimage. It has the bonus of Smart Sharpening which tends to work very well for just about everything. $50 dollars to buy but all updates are free for life. Have a look at it and see what you think. There is a $35 version but the pro one is worth the difference.

Your blog is going from strength to strength. I do hope you've got it backed up for posterity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home