Sunday, May 14, 2006

Here be dragons

Oh all right then, geese .

The other evening I went to the Thatcham reed beds to take pictures. The geese were setting off at regular intervals from one pond, presumably to settle for the night in another. I was somewhere in the middle. There was a lot of honking and chattering from both ends and they passed overhead at regular intervals. It all sounded rather frantic and disorganised. I thought they might be shouting "right we're off now" "see you later" "OK...er, yeah, see you later" "Well I'm going now right!" "yeah, me too" "hey, see you in a minute" "Oh good, yes, we're all here" "except you two" "and the other six" "Ok, well we'll see you in a minute" "Oh are you going? I might come in a minute"
Anyway, with so much warning I eventually managed to get a shot as these two passed above me.

Considering that the water was mostly a bit stagnant looking and the light wasn't anything special, the thatcham reed beds turned out quite photogenic.

As was the track leading to another reed bed which I hadn't time to investigate.


While I was babbling on about pictures, the Sunday dinner seems to have arrived at a point where I need to pay attention. There's a lot of bubbling and steam and crisp looking stuff. So I'd better do something to it...possibly serve and eat it.

6 comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I like the sign, in the top photo, that says

STOP
LOOK
LISTEN


(think from time to time I could do with that on a t-shirt)

and I loved the murkey greens and browns on the redd beds and puddle reflections

lovely photos

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

(reed beds)

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh, hi again...umm I can't sem to help thinking, you, like the view!
thankyou.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Kata said...

The reed beds are most groovy..they look a bit tribal and imposing..

Uncooperative birds! Have had the same experience myself lately...grr!

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a couple geese when I was younger. Their names were 'Bugar' and 'Bubba'. I remember that they hated everyone in the world except my Father. They would go sit on his lap and protect him from the rest of us. Then one day my dog decided to kill them while we were gone to church. Oh well!

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Totem trees and tribal reeds. Lovely idea Mangey :)
I guess your geese must have been ungodly birds Dav and that's why the dog waited till you were at church.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home