Sunday, August 10, 2008

Cookery is

"An art!"
"A science!"
"An art!!"
"A science!!"
"An..."


No it isn't. It's a game :)
Well we got a round yellow courgette as a gift :)
What on earth are you supposed to do with one of those? Play a cooking game with it of course :)
It's stuffed with something or other and olive oiled and it's just gone in the oven with the roast potatoes and parsnips. I wonder how it will come out?

The really great thing about the cooking game is that I get to play and somebody else gets to win or lose :~)

We had a sort of plan for this evening only it sort of depended on the weather.
There's music at the local pub tonight and they serve pizza on Sunday evenings. However, we usually have a Sunday roast. And the main point of going tonight would have been to sit outside in the sun listening to music and eating pizza and abandoning the roastie thing till tomorrow.
The weather wasn't playing though and while we were dithering about the littlecloudwithoneraindropandasunpeepingouttheback icon on the met office report, I sort of started cooking.
So Barney went to the pub and is now indoors listening to music and I am at home playing at cooking and working through holiday pics and thinking what a shame I didn't go to the pub when the sun was shining (which it did intermittently all afternoon - that would be thelittlesunpeepingouttheback part of the icon) and being glad I didn't when it rained heavily (littlecloudwithraindropunderneath part).

One thing I am gradually learning about my new macro lens is it's not a zoom lens. Twiddling the focus ring doesn't bring the image any closer. It just makes it go more or less out of focus. However as long as something in the picture is in focus, probably everything that's the same distance away from the lens will be in focus too. So if I stood in the middle of a bush and focused on something and then turned round and pressed the shutter, probably something would be in focus! This could be worth a try!
And, a macro shot is not just a close-up. At least, I don't think it is?
It's all very puzzling ?:~) I think it would only take one more lens to take me beyond the boundaries of what I'm able to understand. Fortunately, I'm happy with the two I have :)
Sleep well :)

(The courgette was nice. I didn't realise how much water there is inside one though :)

Labels:

6 comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Thursday said...

You're right about the amount of water! Did you just roast it whole? I've tried roasting bits, steaming and doing some fancy-looking cheesy, oniony baked halves, all of which were verging on disastrously bad. If you'd like more for further scientific art, do let me know!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

It provides its own gravy Thursday :)
I scooped out the middle and stuffed in some packet stuffing mix - it suddenly occurs to me that I could have put the stuffing mix in dry!
But we're still working our way through a huge bag of them that arrived from next door :)

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Mel said...

And I was all excited when I saw the round, pumpkin lookin' thing!

(go figure, eh? LOL)

And I don't know how a macro differs from a zoom--I just know that what it captures is awesome.
<--owns a point and shoot camera and barely knows how to work that one!

Ty ty ty!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Betty F said...

Glad you're enjoying your macro lens! I'd like one someday

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Sorrow said...

The thought of playing with my food...
Giggle now there's a concept i could get into!

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Well pumpkin time is getting closer Mel :) This one would only make a very small Halloween face though :)

I hope you do get one soon Betty, it's a whole new experience!

They looked so like game pieces on a board Sorrow - but somehow I get the feeling that's not quite what you're thinking of :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home