Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cycles. Of life both domesticated and wild.

So, one hairy pest has been successfully relocated.
However we are a bit concerned because it seems possible another kind of pest may have moved in.
Yesterday (the morning of the family do) Barney told me a 'something very fast and small' had flown past him in the kitchen. He couldn't see how it had got in since all the windows were closed. Unless it was a bird that the cats brought in and then let go.
Only it seemed to him that it looked like a bat.
Ooh! A bat in residence!
Well, actually, um, a pest in residence!
I have no anxieties about bats and no fears that they will tangle in my hair or anything like that. However, I am not at all happy about a small, flying, multiplying mammal colonising our kitchen!
And later in the morning, the bat confirmed its existence by coming out in full view and flying around before vanishing back - into the very place from which Tosca has recently been ejected!

One problem is that bats aren't very easy to catch. Another is that they are a protected species and you aren't allowed to do anything to disturb them! So I am told by our friends who have an unwelcome colony firmly settled in their roof!
And a third is that we really don't know how long this little interloper has been here or indeed, how many of it there are! It's not like it will sit and introduce itself to you and give you a chance to get to know it! It's a case of 'all bats look the same when they're flying around your kitchen'!

Well, all these questions prompted me to look for an answer or two. And I find that though bats are indeed protected and you can be heavily fined for disturbing their roosts, one that is encountered flying around your house is probably lost and wants to get out! Which is fine by me :)
I'm hoping a night with the window open has encouraged it to leave. We haven't seen it again :)
I'm in the middle of downloading a few pictures from the weekend.

More time has passed. The weekend is over and only Father and Sister -in -law are still with us (and Sister in Law's lovely daughter and cute dog). Our dog, far from being cute, stole a helping of chocolate tart from a passing small child at the weekend and has been throwing up all day.
A window fell out of it's moorings today when a thunderstorm blew past. The weekend itself was all sunshine and hotness and small children splashing about in the paddling pool. And vast quantities of food and drink :) I am a stuffed bunny, almost unable to move for barbecued pork and chocolate tart and subsequent meals, too many and too large to describe (including a quite heavenly fish pie cooked today by Sister in Law).

It's all been good and now I am a trifle exhausted!
Apologies for my absence - I just didn't have anything polite to say. Except phew and oof and mmmm and *sigh*. A bit boring really.
But today what with sudden clouds mounting up and then the sky opening and then the open sky and a strange and wonderful mist rising after the thunderstorm, I took some pics.
Tomorrow I will visit (I daren't tonight as it's long past everyone's bedtimes - even mine :)
It's cool now :) Heaven!

Hope you've all had some lovely weather too.
xxx

11 comments:

At 3:31 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Ohmygosh.....what gorgeous photos.... The rain shot is just amazing! (haven't quite figured out how to capture it as you have--probably never will, truth be told...which is more reason to adore your shots!)

And bats aren't protected here. Lucky us!
But-- I've found the best answer to one in the house is a baseball cap. No foolin'.....captures 'em without harm and they're ever so glad to be FREE. (you'd think I'd learn to shut doors/windows by now, huh? LOL)

May the furry bat be FREE and happy!
(there's hope!)

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Mel! How lovely that you are here now!
:)
xxxx

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I think the bat did leave by itself Mel, but if it reappears, we have plenty of baseball caps lying around :)

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Betty F said...

I hope the bat left on it's own.. How awful to have a nest of them and not be able to do anything about it. Sounds like Britain and the U.S. have that in common. Your photos are beautiful. Your weekend with family sounds like it was a lot of fun.
Looking forward to photos.

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no bat pictures? (pouts)


P.S. If/when you make your way round to our lovely friend Ms I's, please enjoy a cuppa for me.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thank heavens, I think the bat did leave Betty! (I'm not sure about my baseball bat catching skills!)

I was a bit sad I didn't get a chance to take photos 'shot. But bats in a small dim kitchen are almost too fast to see, never mind taking photos!
(will do :)

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Mel said...

*tap tap tap*

Ummmmmm......and a hug for me, if you would please?

:-)

Thanksmuchly, ma'am.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

((((((((( Mel )))))))))))
:)
Oh, I see :)
Of course :)

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

:-)

I too love the rain shot - those big drops of summer rain. . . lovely

perhaps

we once stayed in a cottage in Scotland (a bothy, I think, was the term) and a bat flew in the window of one of the bedrooms and flew round in circles for about an hour before it worked out how to get out, and then promptly flew back in again!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

ooooooh!!! your Bristol thingy is showing hot air balloons! my best friend from Uni lives behind one of the parks where the hot air balloons are launched from, and the factory that makes them is at the top of her road

:-)

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

The raindrops are lovely if they're only there for a few minutes I .

Apparently young bats get confused when they're learning to use the sonar thing. They think they're flying under the eaves and find themselves in the house instead.

Wouldn't it be fun to live close enough to watch balloons being launched :) I can imagine small children who live near there loving it. (Though they are very noisy at close quarters - balloons I mean. Of course small children can also be noisy at close quarters :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home