Tuesday, April 15, 2008

One should never get confident where machinery is concerned

Yesterday it was making promises it clearly had no intention of keeping. 4 days??? Huh! More like twenty.
It's taken to informing me that "the file is no longer there". Lies, all lies. the files are all there, waiting to be copied. the machine is just pretending it can't see them. I'm tempted to offer it binoculars so it can't keep doing this Nelson "I see no files" thing at me.
The only way to sharpen up its perceptions seems to be to disconnect the new drive and reconnect it and then suggest, ever so politely, that it tries again. It's behaving like a small, square, obstinate child. As long as I keep holding its hand and copy/pasting folders one by one it keeps doing it. If I suggest that it might like to copy/paste four or five files or maybe a whole folder full of folders full of files it suddenly says Oh look! a chicken! Or at any rate "I see no ships I mean files"
Heaven save me from semi educated computers.
Well in order to stay close to it and keep connecting and disconnecting, I've resorted to doing housework. I've cleaned windows, done the rest of the kitchen and dashed upstairs with washing. I've nearly copied all of January 2007's photos onto the new drive.
The dog has been tied up outside all day since I can't be doing with pathetic dog faces as well as obstinate computer messages.
Oops! In 2 minutes 10 seconds I need to be back, holding it's hand.
Did I mention it's been a glorious April day?

It may be time to see my helpful computer man again. Can he find out how to make this system work sensibly I wonder? Is it worth 30 quid to find out?

Later you may get a pic of what I saw when I'd cleaned the windows (not as interesting as anything the Butler might have seen I'm afraid)
Meanwhile, it occurs that Picasa isn't being used by the bits of the machine that are doing the copying. So, slowly, (cos it's not too good at multi-tasking if the truth were known) I can send you a picture.
1 minute and 35 seconds to the next copy/paste.
More later - maybe :)

Labels: , , , ,

6 comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

what a calm and serene photo after such irritation with the 'puter!

:-)

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

*Breathe*
Needed it I. I may have to post knots and tangles if this goes on!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Ohhhh......but what a cool idea!
(the knots and tangles one)

And I had to laugh at the 'oh look, a chicken' 'puter. LOL

OMGosh can I relate to the 'puter. LOL

And omgosh what a beautifully serene view for the eye and soul.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I'm looking for knots and tangles Mel. Just in case I need them. Also putting off till another day the whole lot more copy/pasting I need to do.
Serenity is what I need. And bubbles :)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

ah! that's the bubble. . .

you are serene!

knots and tangles sound like SP's hair in the morning - I could take a photo on my phone and upload it. . . maybe not! (there was a nit in there this morning)

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Could make an interesting macro! But Oh dear, what a pain :( I so remember the nit business! Just hoping that Gorgeous Babe never comes here with any - Grandmas with nits - Oh Nonono!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home