Monday, April 14, 2008

10 days and 14 hours

until the computer has finished copying all of H drive to the new hard drive.

Oh, now it's 7 days and 3 hours - oops, 4 days and 20 hours- -oops - 5 days and 20 hours -
oh no, just a mere 4 days and 18 hours - 23 hours - 17 hours - 20 hours - 18 hours.
I wonder sometimes if this machine really knows what it's doing or if it's just trying to confuse me. Both maybe :) It seems to be getting through roughly one hour every five minutes now it's settled down to a steady rate of - whatever it thinks it's doing. This works out at about 9 hours!*
So some time tomorrow I may have all my pics duplicated on two hard drives. Meanwhile, I am getting a lesson in the wisdom of 'doing a bit of it now' instead of 'doing it all at once, some other time when it's more convenient'.
A good lesson. (please don't mention stitches in time - I still hate sewing. some time I'm going to get to grips with my sewing machine and spend time making, mending and generally being adventurous with left over clothes. Which reminds me, Elder Sister and I discussed clothes we couldn't quite bear to throw away even though we can't wear them either any more. She beat me on skirts over silk shirts by a good margin** :)

Meanwhile, over on the other machine, Norton has nearly run out so I'm seriously considering getting AVG instead. Which has the huge virtue of being free and also (I'm told) doesn't slow the computer down so much.
So I've saved the uninstall instructions and looked up AVG and bookmarked it all ready to embark :) But is it a good idea to have both computers doing large and mysterious things, very slowly, at the same time?

Hmm. I think I'll go and hang the washing up. That's something I can understand easily.
Of curse, while the machine is doing its thing - or not doing it (still stuck at 4 hours 13 minutes) I can't access any pictures. Let's hope it does a quick spurt.

*except that now it seems to have got stuck on 4 hours 13 minutes. Oh well. At this rate, Norton will have run out before this machine has finished so I'll have to do both things at once anyway.
**Which is to say, she has more unwearable skirts in her cupboards than I have unwearable silk shirts in mine :)

Labels: , , , ,

5 comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

(it's trying to confuse you. . . but don't tell it that we know that)

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

(and what a great typo:

Of curse, while the machine is doing its thing

!!)

;-)

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

:) What I, so as to keep the element of surprise?
*Cursing*

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Mel said...

*nodding*

And this is why the 'puter sometimes gets referred to as 'the confuser'.

I always find that walking away from it to blow bubbles---to be very helpful.
Well, that's unless it spits up a permission screen and waits patiently for my return to answer the question it's spit up.
Then......muttering happens....LOL

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Bubbles! Definitely a good thing, things. Definitely some good things. Sorry, Youngest phoned me and I had to have a chat to Gorgeous Babe and I lost my bubbles thread :)
And yes, I too suffer from that permissions thing!
Bubbles!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home