Thursday, April 10, 2008

Catapulted

from one happening to the next is what I've been!
Two days with Eldest and Northern Girl and Marmite, all busy and bouncy outings, sunshine and rain, two days with Elder sister and her son, quite sleepy and serene nostalgic outings, sunshine and snow, one mad evening at a Jethro Tull concert in Oxford (coo! That was fun and made us feel alternatively, our age and our youth), one early morning arrival of a very small person and a day in her company, all busy and bouncy and full of questions and irrepressible, one evening out with the local Flickr group (also fun and more of that later) and oops! one more early morning waiting for Gorgeous babe to wake up and start busily bouncing again :)
Phew!
Sadly, since I've been back from the North, there has been the most wonderful photography weather and light - but really, GB couldn't be hanging around while I take pics. On the other hand it's very nice having her here in the sunshine :) And she is sunshine enough herself, being the best behaved and sunniest person of her age that I know!

There may be a pic of her later but while she sleeps (I don't remember her ever sleeping in beyond 7am before but maybe I tired her out yesterday!) I can be here :)
So, when I was in Lancaster, the Lakes and mountains only a roof top view away, the light was cold and clear and changing all the time. No snow :(
No problem :) It's nice just being there and they look after me so well. It's always a pleasure visiting because they are a wonderfully secure, calm and energetic partnership. And of course I love them :)
So I took a few pics of magnolia in the City Centre and set off for Manchester. It snowed a bit on the way - typical, there I am trundling along the motorway, nowhere to stop and snow clouds sweep across the looming hills, tempting me to detour! But I didn't because you never know what will happen on these motorways. Could be I'll suddenly find myself in a several hour traffic jam!
Not this time though and as I swooped* across the huge flyover that goes past Old Trafford** or whatever it's called, I could see the snow capped Pennines, brilliantly sunlit in the distance. Elder sister's house is within spitting distance of those very hills and having made very good time getting there, I was tempted. And I admit it, gave in without a moment's hesitation, and set off hillswards looking for a view. Which I didn't find. Instead , I found myself at the foot of a very very inviting path leading up a deeply*** satisfying hill at the top of which stands a marvellous, strange, white, conical, pointy thing called White Nancy. This does indeed overlook the hills but as I parked the car, it began to snow again. Oooh!
Off I scrambled, clutching camera (wrapped in a plastic carrier bag) and passing a quite large number of people descending - presumably to escape being snowed on :)
There they are and there is the pointy tip of White Nancy :) With a bobble on top!


So I got my snowy pictures and enjoyed being blasted by the wild Northern winds in high places to boot! (wish I had been wearing boots 'cos then I would have gone right to the top but it didn't seem sensible to leave the good path in my little soft shoes :)
Goodness - Gorgeous Babe is still asleep! I think maybe I'd better wake her up or her Mum won't get her to bed tonight :)
Wake up!!! It's a lovely morning :)
Hope you too, are having a lovely morning and sunshine and birds singing :)
xxx

*The motorways always make me feel as though I'm swooping. I know you can't really do this without wings but hey! It's the thought that counts
**Home of Man United Football. not my thing but most awfully English and iconic
***that would be highly satisfying wouldn't it...being high :)

Labels: , ,

5 comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Omgosh, omgosh, omGOSH!

There's just too many pretty shots, Mig!
Love the path, love the handsome creatures (dog and man)....and adore the birdies on the roof's peak.
*happy sigh*
And the snowy Pennine's.

Wait til I show himself!
It's seven in the mornin'.....that's a decent hour!
*chuckling* He'll call it indecent, of course...LOL

Wonderful photos, Mig!
Tooooooooooooo many wonderful ones---if there is such a thing!

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I know Mel :) I just wanted to catch up with the whole weekend all at once. Hey I'm so impressed you noticed the pigeons on the roof! I didn't till this morning :)

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

lovely lovely lovely

I feel as tho I've toured the country myself! I like the one with the dipping field and the wall and the telegraph lines just looping thru the top right of the image. . .

(well, I like them all - but often there's a favourite)(looking forward to the flckr piccies!)

:-)

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

(oh, and I really love the pansies cos I love pansies, but I especially like the cheery view of pansies and the daffs thru the slats in the blind!)

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thank you I, I think the curvy field is my favourite too because I did the umbrella thing* and most of the snow came out right. And because I have a thing about Northern Grey/green landscapes :)

*The umbrella thing works for getting rain and snow in focus as well as keeping the sun off the lens)

The pansies just begged to be captured in the sun - I couldn't resist them :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home