Monday, September 11, 2006

Well I left Blogger procrastinating over a little bit of an upload

And got bored and went away to visit other blogs. Forgot these might have arrived by now!
Today I got up early enough to give Barney a bit of a shock and set off to Avebury to take pictures of the stone circle. I was hoping for mist but the early(ish) morning sun was almost as good. And the absence of tourists was extremely good (As I found out later when they all arrived)
In times past the village was entwined with the stone circle (until some victorian preservationists decided to move the people out and demolish their homes to make room for the stones) and to some extent the village and the circle still seem to have a curious intimacy.
So Frangelita, you're quite right probably abut the anger but it's the villagers who got a bit pissed off with all things ancient and heritaginous! The stones just sit there impassively. All over the place.

And hawthorne grows around the circle along with Ancient Beech and oak trees and small purple, pink, yellow and blue flowers.

Posted by Picasa

So this one has had the path added (for tourists) and I was desperate to get the hawthorne berries showing against the stone...involving a lot of leaning amongst brambles... and failed totally. (but I spent so long over the pics, you get to see them anyway)
Anyway, here are more stones.

And bits of village (In this case it looks a bit as though the pub roof is trying to elbow the stone out of the way)

Still lurking rather crossly around the stones
or drinking across the road from them
Posted by Picasa
And the stones occasionally being used as scratching posts by itchy sheep
Wherever you go in the village, you're likely to meet a stone round any corner and whenever you gaze soulfully at a stone, you inevitably become aware of a cottage or a garden just behind it or beside it.

All I can say about Avebury is it may not have the 'in your face' mystic romanticism of Stonehenge but it most certainly has a powerful presence.
Of which these two jackdaws are clearly oblivious.
I love it.
After wearing my feet out trudging round the circle, I went to Avebury Manor which has the most serene and beautiful garden and then called on my brother on the way home and saw his new house which is looking much newer than it did last time I saw it. It was really nice to see him (it seems to have been a long time since I last did). Then I had coffee cake in hungerford and went home feeling extremely satisfied with my day out.

When I've sorted through my pics of the manor garden I shall post some.
And in case you didn't know, last week there was a partial eclipse of the moon. I spent some time trying to work out what was shadowing what to produce this topless effect. But I gave up because whichever way I looked at it, it didn't seem to make sense. But that is probably just because of my ignorance of eclipses.

17 comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

That rock looks very out of place. Like some extremely strong (and angry) person picked it up from a more natural rocky environment and threw it there.

I'm not sure why they would, but come on, you explain it.

It could be from out of space?

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Mel said...

I'm loving the rock with the stoney path and fence!
Out of place that the rock might seem, it makes the photo from my chair.

What lovely photos--oh how I wish for a stone path with moss and bushes and trees turning colours....

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I've written the rest of the post now Fran...but I haven't explained why the rocks were there. 'Cos nobody knows why the countryside is littered with rocks that clearly didn't grow there.

Mel, I wish I could have a big rock in my back garden...or near it anyway. Berries I do have. And a few bits of moss (mostly in the lawn). I could send you some ? (actually I probably couldn't. I bet it's not alowed any more in case people inadvertantly send evil tree diseases by mistake.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I simply MUST go to Avebury soon - I very nearly did go last Thursday when it was a full moon and regretted not going as certainly here, the sky was lovely which I'm sure would have added to the whole thing.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I wanted to go on the friday night but hadn't quite got the idea together in my mind.
I think you will like it.

Looking forward to Sunday :)

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Kata said...

Avebury! The mister's village is about 20 miles from there. Feeling homesick now...

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

i like the stone next to the pub picture. it's like nothing I've ever seen. :)

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Wow.

Absolutely WOW.

We have loads of rocks but they're 'suppose' to be here.
I think I'd like rocks from unknown places a LOT.
They define the town insteand of the town defining them, which is a really awesome thing.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh Mangey, does he ever visit? we could meet! Wouldn't that be amazing :)

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Lt, the stone is actually 100 yards away....it just came out weird in the photo (although I suppose I could use it as photographic 'evidence' that the stones move when no one's looking)

Apparently they've been there for over 4,000 years, longer than Stonhenge. Nearly as long as the Pyramids. So I wonder if there was a megolithic settlement there already or if it grew up around the stones or came later.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger starbender said...

I luv rocks! I want my yard 2 look just like that, Now, Where do I get Me some of Those Stones???
:)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

You get them from Marlborough Star, about 20 miles from Avebury. You just need a team of dedicated megolithic chaps and some large wooden rollers and a bit of (very) old rope and you're away! I think you'll have to look up Irish stone circles to find out how to get them across water though :)

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Kata said...

We may be out that way this Xmas...I will keep you posted..!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

maybe I was Obelix (or an ancestor about 2,000 years older than him) in a previous life, I just feel so comfortable around those stones and your pictures make me feel comfortable too

love the jackdaws (or rooks, or crows or whatever they are) one

and the moon

oh, heck, I love them all

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Ooh Mangey, that would be so, so exciting :) :)!

I think one could even say awesome about ancient stones I. Come to think of it, most stones are pretty ancient, even the ones we scatter around our driveways and paths! I suppose the only new stones you'd se are limestone formations and recent volcanic deposits.

Jackdaws...with the grey shirts and the evil silver eyes :)

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

:) great picture no matter what.

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thanks Lt :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home