Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Layers


In case anyone's interested, this is my second attempt at Kevin Day's layering method.
It's amazingly clever and works a lot better if you do use a tripod and a cable shutter release!
The method is described in detail here.

Basically, you take several different exposures of the same shot and then copy them all into one picture in photoshop. Then remove the bits you don't want from each exposure. So you end up with one picture containing all the best exposed bits.
Not a bad result when what I started with was a choice of these!
Then I played with the final one a bit :)

.Kevin's pictures are amazing, a guaranteed delight to visit.


Yesterday Barney and I went for a wander round the Cotswolds. Picking a place at random from a coffee table book of Britain's countryside, we started with the Westonbirt Arboretum. Fortuitously there was a national tree festival going on so we got to look at stalls with wood turning, carving, assorted craft and arty stuff and some giant sculptures. As well as some aged and splendid trees. Pics another day.
Then we went to the Golden Valley near Stroud (apparently golden with daffs in Spring). Oddly enough, ths was part of the route of an abandoned canal and we explored as far as the Daneway end of the Sapperton tunnel and then drove to the other end of the tunnel (it's collapsed somewhere inside but as it's 3 miles long we didn't get to see the collapsed bit).
Another time I'm going to take the camera and just take pictures of wonderful old Cotswold stone buildings. There are so many you couldn't fail to see something lovely.

Altogether a nice way to spend bank holiday (if you're middle aged, have no small children to tow around and like wonderful views with canals, wood, trees and tunnels :)

5 comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger Kata said...

Groovy technique maestro! I have to wait til I go digital and get some photoshop software before I can join you...bummer.

Love the Cotswolds..sounds like a fab time. xx

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Now that's an awesome idea and a great finished product!

Obviously I need to go peek at more of Mr. Day's shots.
It gets better than the trees?

And it does sound you and himself had a great time of it! Lucky youse twos!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

mig, once again you pictures are awesome!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I grew up walking about Westonburt. . . how coincidental that you saw woodturning!

love the layered photo - aren't you clever! I'm looking forward to more

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Not maestro Mangey, more wannabe apprentice! Your pics are brilliant without any digital aids!

Kevin's pics are all wonderful Mel. I haven't looked at the half of them because each one gives so much. And yes, it was a really nice day.

Thanks Lt :)

What a lovely coincidence I. I will post some pictures though the Westonbirt ones were not the best. Those trees deserve more time than I had for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home