Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The wolf inside


This was going to be a response to this post by Frangelita, but has turned into something else, triggered by her comparison of us in terms of ambition and our places in the world.
When I was little, grubby, skinnny and a right royal pain in the sedate, middle class* arses of my parents I was a walking, talking stream of demands. Argued constantly, demanded lots of cuddles and toys and as time went on, lots of pocket money.
My father frequently said "you spend money just for the sake of spending it." I knew this was not the case but I couldn't at all explain what I did spend it for. Well I knew it was because I wanted the THINGS. The glorious tiny bits of something or other (whatever I was currently fixated upon) which would briefly satisfy the whatever it was I wanted all the time....most of my life revolved around some kind of vast inchoate WANT. Occasionally it would errupt into episodes of shameful theft (of small teddy bears or tiny bits of jewellery, from small friends) resulting in awful embarrassment and cringing returns.
I partly wish I could point at my (beleagured) parents and demonstrate that they were in some way responsible for this huge unsatisfied appetite. But I suspect it's quite normal for small children to feel like this and most of them just grow out of it sooner than I did. Or find a satisfactory gobstopper. Or whatever. Or learn something I never did.
As I got older I added the urgent and consuming desire to be staggeringly good at something, not just 'quite talented' or 'quite musical', 'quite intelligent' or 'not bad'. And fortunately came upon the discovery that making things was as good as having things. The fly in this ointment was that I couldn't WAIT for the making process nor for the necessary learning process that would enable the making. And the other downside was that I could tell when my efforts weren't right. I made innumerable crap bows, useless arrows, limp sails for unpondworthy boats and tumble down structures. (I did make some quite impressive dams and tiny gardens though) . And the pictures and plasticine models I made were clearly not right. But nearly, Oh so nearly. There is no joy in the world like that of making something right, be it a picture or a house or a machine.

So I was this small passionate person struggling through life with an insatiable growling inside, wolfing down lovely things and gorging on moments of creative epiphany. ** Later disguised as a plump teenager who wasn't very good at making friends!

It did rather cramp my social and emotional style. Far from having a hidden thin person trying to get out of a fat one, there was just this wolf wanting something so intemperately that I had to keep it well under wraps. I never learnt to feel the warm emotions that other people seemed to feel so easily towards each other. For years and years I wondered if I actually had a 'heart' at all. I had no doubt that something pounded away inside me but it didn't seem to do the stuff that other peoples' hearts do.

I had the vague idea that if I were very very good at something I might become famous and that might be rather nice and in some way satisfy the WANT. But I had a shrewd suspicion that a) it wouldn't be as easy as that because b) you have to be quite specific and focussed on something outside an errant wolf in your innards to be good enough at something to be famous for it.
I had another vague idea that I really wanted to be the heroine of all the millions of books I read. Or the hero, since it was a few years before any really interesting heroines appeared in my reading matter. Common sense only applied to this yearning in that witches, dragons and desirable men were clearly in short supply in the real world. As were flying horses and telepathic cats that wanted to communicate with me and only me. I choose to remain open on the subject of unicorns OK?
During most of the years I wandered around with my head in a series of fairy tales, my heart in thrall to the pleasures of creativity and a wolf in my gut, my mother was battling depression and religious crises while my father was battling old age and an unwelcome modern age (he would have loved computers though). A couple of nights ago while sitting on the loo I suddenly thought actually it's no wonder I didn't take to emotional reality, there was far too much of it going on right beside me. More than enough to go round our little family. I've no doubt at all that if I could have talked to my parents after I'd had children they could have told me about their own wolves. But they both died too soon for that. I've never worked out what it was I wanted so much. Perhaps right from the start it was for someone to stroke the wolf instead of trying to feed it.***

I usually end up after one of these lengthy, self-disclosure warblings with some sort of homey 'pearl of wisdom'. I don't seem to have one. The wolf still rumbles on a bit. We've had our moments when one or other of us nearly vanished but I guess she's an integral part of me.
But maybe, look at the clear eyes of a child and bear in mind that the person in there may know at least as much as you do about passion and desire. Or, look at an old, old person and wonder if there is still a wolf in there.

As for ambition and my place in the world, well I never had time for the one and where I am now is the place I've arrived at. It's good enough for now.

Have an apple?


*This is actually a calumny upon my mother who was in fact irreverant, funny and somehwere between some sort of Dutch aristocracy and the descendant of a dutch pirate...well both in fact...but never, ever middle class. Or sedate. I just liked the way the sentence went.
**not sure about epiphany. I think that's what I mean.
***Or maybe a good kick up the arse. Several.

9 comments:

At 5:41 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Very appropriate photo for the post, methinks.

And a post that left me doing a whole lot of introspect--which is always a good thing for me. I read hers--and then I read yours.

More than once I hear about the girl "you ARE your mother's child".
I'm humbled that she finds that a compliment.
Imagine my speechlessness when I went to her blog and discovered under "Hero" she listed me.

Ambition takes on different personalities in the lives of different persons. Sometimes it's a highly visable, external thing--sometimes a very private, internal thing.
But I well and truly liked that description of the wolf inside--wise and passionate wolf that it is.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger frangelita said...

Oh mum. This is fantastic.

Does straightening your back count as stroking the wolf?

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

sometimes there is no pearl

(and maybe that's the wisdom?)

(and strangely I was thinking many of these thoughts this morning and now I come here and you are too and the wisdom stuff as well. . .

. . .and it's all wonderfully serenditious)(what was that word mel?)

and whether you perceive there to be "pearls" or not, here I find there are always fascinating words and wonderful photos

and stuff that makes me go away thinking

thank you

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

and if blogger let you post photos in comment boxes, there'd be one here of a wolf sitting howling on the top of a mountain with a huge harvest moon low in the sky behind and a row of pines along the horizon; you know exactly what I mean, only even more moody

really really typical wolf image for that really really typical internal wolf

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Nonono Mel, my wolf is not wise or compassionate...she's still a huge hungry greyish black thing! but I've learnt a thing or two about living with her. Which is a sort of wisdom.

Serendipitous I. And yes definitely it is, I thought the same when I visited you this morning:) But I think the harvest moon picture is too romantic, think of something more snarly and tangled and furry.

Wow, thank you frangelita. Well yours was wonderful too. Like Mel, I am humbled (but only a little bit, don't want to overdo it) and this is only a spin off answer to yours. There may be more :)
Oh and no, the back straightening is just looking after your old mum which is as it should be :)

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Mig-I'm so glad to read this post. I loved getting to know you a bit better. Just to be able to 'see' you and hear a bit about what is in your heart and mind is very special. Thank you for that.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh no. . .

mine might have had a harvest moon in it. . .

but was more along the lines of a Terry Pratchett elves harvest moon

(which book was it with the elves? or was it fairies? one with the witches and the silly girls who thought they could be witches just by dressing up and saying incandations - or whatever the word is - where one of the witches gets married to the soon to be king guy who was just the jester in the book before, with the play based on a Mid Summer Night's Dream)

really quite nasty. . .

. . .like that internal wolf when noone strokes it

;-)

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Kyah, how sweet of you:)

Ooh yes I, Lords and Ladies. I loved that one. And wasn't there the wonderful bit where Granny Weatherwax talked to the wood in the castle door and it all exploded into growth.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I thought is was Magrat who talked to the door, to get Nanny Ogg out of a dungeon, and Granny was almost impressed but tried not to let on. . .

?

whatever and whoever and however, it was that nasty kind of wolf I was aiming for. . .

(but not the sad mixed up wolf in the book with Esme's sister, which I think was Witches Abroad?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home