Monday, August 14, 2006

Compote of rhubarb and wasps

One of the last things to happen before we left for Cropredy, was a sudden loud bang in the kitchen and a powerful fruity, yeasty smell. I looked round but couldn't see anything obvious. It was only later that I saw this (the cloud of wasps caught my eye)



















and still later, this.

It seems a plastic bottle of grapefruit and mango juice had fermented quietly away to itself while waiting to be thrown away. It must have got bored with fermenting so exploded noisily. I think the penguin mug was a bit surprised :) And I thought the rhubarb stewing on the stove had caused the smell. We were going to have it with mackerel but the various smells and stuff were all so exciting I forgot it (now safely frozen away so we won't have exploding rhubarb).

It's amazing how quickly fermented fruit juice sets hard onto ceilings and plastic penguin mugs' heads. Fortunately I had help (phriend, the photographer, cleaned it up for me) as, what with packing and mackerel there seemed to be quite a lot going on.

5 comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh boy.

I'm sitting here feeling BAD for Mr. Penguin mug who lost his head over the whole ordeal.
It even took presidence over the ucky stuff on the ceiling. LOL

Poor Mr. Penguin Mug.....

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh it's alright Mel, he was decapitated before the explosion! Er, I suppose that's not much better :) But he's all back together again now.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Kata said...

It made for a great photo op just the same! I relayed this tale to the mister and he told me of some home brew that did the same several light years ago in his mum's house..good times..

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, I think I'm going to have to try this ...

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Home brew does have that habit Mangey...I've heard many a tale of exploding ginger beer and devastation.

Let me know if it works Thursday :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home