Thursday, August 03, 2006

Moving right along

I didn't really believe we were doing this until I realised I absolutely have to fill in forms and send them off TODAY!
I hate filling in forms.
There's always one question isn't there which is just ambiguous enough that you have to ask some one. Do they answer their phones? No they do not. And isn't it always the question that sems to demand total certainty. Otherwise they'll suspect you of fraud or mental illness or terrorist intent. Definitely. And by the time you've dithered over this for a couple of hours (days? Years?) (and last post date approaches) you're no longer convinced that you are blameless and honest and English and didn't do it. Whatever it is they might think you were trying to do which is, of course, so far outside your sphere of experience that you have no idea what it might be anyway.
The other thing I hate about forms is the important ones still seem to have to be done by hand. With a black biro. (Why is it always the black biros that stop working halfway through every form?).
I cannot fill in a form without making at least one blurb. Scribble. Rewrite in a vanishing amount of space which wasn't big enough anyway.
Actually I can't write anything, even a note to myself without a fair spattering of crossings out and little arrows and *s and the odd doodle when I got bored with trying to concentrate long enough to write a whole sentence slowly enough to get all the words right!
(And signing the back of a new bank card is a nightmare of anxious concentration and never ever looks the same as any of the other ones).
My address? forget it. I did.
My name?.....? umm.
Oddly enough I don't usually have any trouble with my date of birth. 1.12.50, just rolls off the tongue/pen. (as long as I don't have to write the whole year...er that would be umm 1950 would it? Oops, nearly put 2050. Seriously wondered about 1850. Scribble.

And then you have a last look at the instructions and it says...please leave question 8 blank.
Look! If you want me to leave a question blank why the hell do you put it there..why don't you stick a big red sticker on top of it saying "it's ok, you can leave this one out, we'll do it for you".
Well now I'll have to phone them and ask them to send me a new form and I can ask all those other little niggling questions that I wasn't quite sure about.
Hey Ho.#

So, now I have filled in two forms and after I've got the nice people at Kuoni travel to send me another copy of the visa application I can do a third and then stick them in the post and wait with bated breath until I get whatever it is...Oh a visa, then I'll be quite convinced.

We had a plan for our holidays this year. We thought we'd go somewhere abroad, maybe BiL's apartment in France or just some nice cheap little cottage somewhere we haven't been before. Nothing extravagant, just a nice break from being here. Just...now how did this happen, just a safari in KENYA?????

When Barney gets the bit between his teeth he does tend to go overboard. * He just happened to see an ad for a 'cheap' safari holiday in a Sunday glossy** and it preyed on his mind for a bit and then he rang his Dad and said, have you still got that Sunday Glossy and can you cut out the ad with the picture of elephants and lions and it's on the right hand page just after the holidays in Sri Lanka and send it to us. And to me he said, I thought we mght go to Kenya instead of Europe.
Me, I am an obedient wife. Far be it from me to argue about the relative merits. True, we might get eaten by elephants, trampled by tigers and chased across the savannah (?) veldt(?) by man eating mosquitos. We may be terrorised and/or mugged. We might even get to drink something brightly coloured and exotic while watching large foreign animals do muddy splashy things by a water hole in the evening. We might have to balance on safari buses trying to get photos of furry, spotted things in trees. We might even have baboons bouncing up and down on top of us. Perhaps we will have to spend a couple of days splashing about on the beach at Mombasa.
Cor!
I mean how could we think of leaving this
For this
***
Hmm. well perhaps I will be able to manage for a little while :)
I'm sorry, I haven't got any pictures of man eating savannahs or ooh, I so hope for leopards. I absolutely love leopards.


*I like this muddled metaphor.
**No, the ad not the holiday.
***Well not really to this, this is mandu on our sofa. But she's got the look don't you think?
#Maybe everyone else doesn't have this problem? I mean other people say thay hate forms but can any of them really be as incapable as me?

13 comments:

At 2:21 AM, Blogger Kata said...

The things I wouldn't do for a chance to go to Kenya...! Too jealous to think right now...*sigh*

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

wow! I am jealous too.
I loved the pictures of your camping trip.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger frangelita said...

Nont only are you going to Kenya, you're going on my birthday. Hmmmph.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kenya? KENYA? Golly.

I spent virtually the whole of yesterday filling in a form in BLACK INK and CLEARLY STRIKING THROUGH ANY QUESTIONS WHICH ARE NOT APPLICABLE WITH N/A OR N/K IF NOT KNOWN and all required to be done in my bestest handwriting. It was exhausting.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger the Beep said...

Oh Mig! You will have such a lovely time. And take some wonderful photos.
I am insanely jealous. It is utter magic there.
(and so muggy at mobassa that your swimmers will not dry unless in the sun).
How exciting!

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Annie said...

God, I love filling in forms. Only I didn't realise it until I read your blog. I'm going to add it to my list of hobbies.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Lemonsage said...

When doing commerce (admin nowadays) at college, we were told to always fill forms using a pencil until we were sure it was right. Then go over in pen. I always do this. I always ask for 2 copies as well, cos I always need the 2nd one!

Don't forget the camera on this holiday - as if you would.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Wish you could come with us Mangey. Wish you all could :)

It's funny Lt, I'm thinking but you and Mangey already live in exotic places...then I remember, it's just home for you:)

Sorry Fran :(

Thursday, I still remember one form I had almost finished when I read the bit that said "you do not have to print the information for this form. Please use ordinary handwriting". I may have screamed...a bit.

Beep I'm so excited. Been laying in stores of extra photo storage and batteries and stuff. And have organised a pro photographer friend to teach me some basic camera knowledge. (like what is an fstop and is that aperture or is it the other one which I can't remember :)
I couldn't bear to go there and come back with just holiday snaps!

Goodness Annie! I'm almost speechless. Could you do a tutorial on how to enjoy form filling perhaps?

I think that's a good strategy Lemonsage...especially the spare copies:)
No I won't forget it.
Just hope the over excitement won't reduce me to six year old behaviour...I used to lose everything that was really important wherever I went. Daily.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I hate forms as well. I cannot ever ever manage to fill in anything that has a specific number of little squares for the info to go in. I always have too MUCH to fit on or not enough, and then I worry I have missed something out. And then my boss who can't write (well he CAN - he just cant be bothered :-)) will hand me forms to fill in and they are worse because if I get these BOSS forms wrong, there will be trouble.I swear I know his personal details better than my own :-)

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask me to fill in a form and my brain immediately turns to mush - and it seems I passed this tendency on to my daughter (must be a genetic thing)!

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Ooh Faery...I think I'd have to take a tranquiliser before trying to fill in a form for some one else!

Hi Faery's Mum. I wonder if it is genetic. My Dad was a doctor so he probably got away with it by the usual illegibility method :)

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Mel said...

GO BARNEY!!!

I like how his brain works!
If some is good--MORE is better.

Wooohoooo!!!

Kenya WITH photos, please.

:-)

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

He's a good lad isn't he Mel :)
Wooohooo and photos definitely :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home