Tuesday, August 08, 2006

It's got to stop

*
Umm. that's about as far as I've got.

Well, basically I'm spending too much time on this. My elbows have seized up, my mouse wrist is getting shooting pains, my thumb aches and I can only sit here for about ten minutes before getting pins and needles in my arms. And my eyes are sore and itchy every morning! (but smut's gone thank heavens :)
Further, I am usually still up at 2 am thinking, Oh just a quick look at so and so's blog, just one more picture, wonder if so and so has put any more pictures up.....until about 2.50 when I suddenly think, got to stop NOW! Set the alarm to give me at least six hours, oversleep, stumble around zombie like, thinking if I'd got up earlier I could have gone to the woods to take early morning pictures.

See? It's got to stop.

The trouble is I have no self discipline. Midnight witches along, glances at me, shrugs and carries on past. Chores leap into view hopefully and then fade under the seductive glow of the computer screen. Morning glimmers through the curtains, raises it's eyebrows and leaves me (snoring, no doubt) to dream. Not, oddly enough, of blogging, though sometimes of pictures or music. More often of having got up and found a thing I'd lost or done a task that I didn't look forward to or of having missed something I was supposed to be doing....that usually gets me up and out in a single bound!

The organisational feat of the family party was mostly to do with keeping myself on the job. The temptation to reward myself for each ten minute task completed, with a couple of hours playing with pictures or blogging required a good deal of metaphorical backside kicking and scruff of neck grabbing. My internal language index went blue with the mental effort. (under stress, I tend to swear at myself a lot; the inside of my head was peppered with F's and B's)

So. I've hidden the RSS feed and the bookmark sidebar and made a plan.
Blog one day, flickr the next and everyone else the third (only I'm sorry, we're away on thursday evening so I may not have much time for everyone else this week).

And I shall do it in the morning so I can play with pictures in the evening.

I do apologise for rabbiting on about this subject yet again...I know I'm entitled as it's my blog etc but it's probably geting a bit repetitive.

A bit of evening sun.

Meanwhile, I'm scouring the local charity shops for 'loose, comfortable, well worn' clothing. It has to be cool, and mustn't be brightly coloured. Shades of khaki, brown and navy are going to feature in the selection along with a dark brown hat. Comfy sandals? Walking boots? trainers???? I'm so glad I got a black camera and not the silver one! Wouldn't want to frighten off the big game!
And tomorrow the new freezer might arrive. That will be a relief. I'd better clean out the cobwebby space it has to go in.
As if this wasn't enough, my friend the photographer is coming to stay to give me lessons in those things I don't understand, about cameras. F stops and apertures and um...focussing fields?? Then we're all going to Cropredy for the weekend for the Annual Fairport Convention Reunion to eat amazing food, shop madly in festival stalls and Oh, yes, listen to music.
Now I'm starvin'ungry and must have breakfast and get on with the day. If it takes me this long every morning to do a bit of blogging I may have to rethink the whole plan!

*the glasses are only relevant in that I took the picture in the middle of the night.

23 comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger the Beep said...

Oh Mig. Kenya and Cropredy in the same year. how could you do this to me! My green genes are wokring overtime.

As for mouse RSI I highly recommend a trackball. I've got a Microsoft one on the PC and I think it's magic. Takes a little getting used to, but I can't find one for the Mac, but if I could I have it tomorrow. There is a keyboard with one in, but it costs over £125 so I have to pause about that.
Anyway the Pc one relieved elbow and wrist pain I was getting.
Magic.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I want to know is how did you manage to take a photo of your glasses with out wearing said goggles? I can't see a thing without mine! Maybe you own TWO pairs - what luxury, I'm jealous!

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cropredy? Cropredy? Crikey, I remember going to that a few years ago and spending a hot, sunny, perpetually dusty lovely weekend slightly off my face, eating fab food and shopping at the stalls.

I know all about the time 'lost' on the computer - just remind yourself that actually, you're not going to miss anything if you leave checking someone's blog or Flickr til tomorrow - it'll still be there.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Kata said...

*still too jealous about the Kenya thing to think straight*

I somehow spent 3 hours online yesterday and didn't notice the time at all...damned herbal cigarettes...hehe.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger hannah said...

you are so funny mig, love the description of your night/day, sounds a lot like mine, (with a few extra small kids thrown in for good measure). was at first worried you were going to leave, glad you aren't, do you think you will be able to keep to the new regime???

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Mel said...

First of all--the bit of evening sun is lovely. What a peace filled feeling it left me with.

Secondly--I'm sad for you not being left with that peace filled feeling, Mig. Sounds like it all gets taken a bit too seriously--seriously!!
Do what's comfortable for YOU.
Do what's workable for YOU.
Do what's BEST for you.

It's a gift for me to be able to get glimpses into other's lives--a treasured one.
But it's in no way, shape or form, an obligation placed on YOU.........leastwise not in my eyes. Anytime I can grab a slice of that pie, it's thoroughly enjoyed. I don't mind how often pie get served, ya know?

Always, always take care of you and do what's best for Mig.

(and as one who suffers from not KNOWING one iota about 'moderation'--I hear ya.....)
Be safe, stay well, eh?

The freezer will arrive, you'll find nifty 'stuff' for the Kenya trip and we'll be sated with whatever slice of pie we get served WHENever it gets served up.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thankyou Beep. I'm looking into trackballs. And yes, I have that fragile feeling that evrerything is VERY NICE at the moment. I'm enjoying it for all it's worth:)

Oh ferretlegs, I do have two pairs. I need one to find the other when I've put them down...somewhere just around here...or was it there? Oh where was it I last wore them? Anyone seen my.....
No good when their on my nose though.

Thursday it's the nicest festival. Fancy you having been there too..we might even have met at the bar without knowing. By the sound of it that goes for the beep as well!

It's not the herbals that keep me glued Mangey, it's the world out there rolling past on my screen. And the fact that once I start 'talking' I can't stop!

Hannah, regrettably, No! I'm sure I was supposed to be doing something else this morning! and evenings to play with pictures turned out to be an all night session last night. (might break the rule and post one or two later!)

I'm in the grip of a compulsion Mel. Like thursday says, it will all still be there if I leave it a day or two but I want to see it now!!!!I'm an instant gratification kid! Must try and grow up a bit! After all it's not as though I don't like doing other things. I just want everything! and a piece of cake please.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger frangelita said...

The day you develop this kind of self-discipline is the day I start getting up voluntarily at 6pm.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger weirdbunny said...

I took a break for a week from the computer. It was hard, and I gave in once or twice, but I came back to the computer not half as obssessed with it as I was.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

OK Fran, you're on. I'll keep you posted. Er, how long do I have to be disciplined before it counts as developed?

Weird bunny, I always feel quite refreshed if I have to go away from the computer for a day or two...or even a holiday. Ready for a several hour stint the moment I get back :)

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D'you know what? I think I'm going to give myself a blog/computer break - next week! There, I've said it!

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Mel said...

*sigh*
I'm not regular enough to TAKE a break...LOL

But I am interested to know just when it is that frangelita is going to start her 6am wakeup adventure! ;-)

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thursday said:
actually, you're not going to miss anything

But how can you be sure??!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Mmm charity shops. My favourite things. Its hard to stop this blogging thing once you get started isnt it? I dont post alot because I have too much I HAVE to do in real life, but mostly because I cant stay up late or I just fall asleep. And I cant get up early either :-)

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaydot, that was unfair and spot on as here I am. Sigh, no willpower, no willpower at all ...

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Lemonsage said...

I'm impressed. How many days now that there has been no update - and nothing to read during my lunch time?

 
At 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I now set aside one afternoon a week to check out blogs. It's just too time consuming!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Nothing like a break thursday, hope yours is restful.

But your irregularities are fun Mel :) No news on the 6am Frangelits front I see.

That's the thing Jaydot...while you're blissfully thinking the blogging has stopped, it's actually going on everywhere else. Of course, it's so nice to come back and find all this has been going on while I was a way :) Hi, nice to see you by the way :)
I would be half naked most of the time if it weren't for chaity shops Faery. (Not a nice thought)

You've got more willpower than me Thursday...how about the evil weed? I'm so impressed.

Well it helps that I've been without access for three days lemonsage but I am doing the next thing on the plan today (though last night's visiting took rather a long time and there are quite a few left over for today)

Don't know how you mange it at all Dav with your hectic schedule:)

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Urban Chick said...

hey now, i've read 'getting things done' to address this very issue and look at me! blogging and reading when i should be...um, doing other stuff

arrrrrrrrrrrgh

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

UC, I went to our local bookshop to have a look at that book (on Eldest's recommendation) and ended up buying a mini version of 'mind mapping'...which apparently teaches you a new way to make lists. Couldn't understand a word of it but it's very pretty.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Mel said...

LOL

I'll get quite a few days worth of chuckles out of that 'mind mapping' that looks pretty.

This is why they invented neon coloured post-it notes, dontchaknow--so folks like me who MAKE lists and lose them...find them easier.
Mind mapping. LOLOL
That would imply that you have a mind TO map, correct? ;-)

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh I'm sure there is one in here somewhere Mel...Er, maybe I left it with my glasses?

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh boy

have I missed this!!

cracking post mig (as ever)

and what a brilliant set of comments

I'm very happy to be home and back here too. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home