Monday, August 07, 2006

Watercress

Sadly we didn't find any, though there was some in the salad at lunch.

We've had charming nephew staying for the weekend and today we went off to Alton (Not towers) to go for a ride on the Watercress Line steam train. It was lovely. I'm not at all a steam freak (or a griser as Barney apparently is) but I do enjoy travelling by any means and steam trains are fun.
This was taken as we chugged over the summit of 'the Hampshire Alps' (little trains*, big ideas)
I'm not sure which station this was but, yes, that does seem to be Thomas the Tank Engine in the yard.I wonder if we are to be haunted by famous trains wherever we go (see scotland blog for Hogwarts Express*)

And here is Barney looking pleased with life.

View from the train...I was quite pleased with this as we were rocketing along at this point!
I am not in fact built like the proverbial brick shithouse. Still you can't help seeing the possibilities here.
On the return journey we sat at the back of the train so that we would be able to get the view of the front, going round bends. Nice view of steam and stuff belching forth. Regrettably, I didn't see the smut (the one with my name on it) until it hit me in the eye. If it's still there tomorrow I may be ringing the surgery to enquire about the removal of foreign bodies from eyes!
Other stuff this weekend involved frantic purchasing, on Saturday morning, of a new freezer and much urgent ferrying of only slightly defrozen food to various temporary homes in other people's freezers, a promise from Youngest's boyfriend that he would cut Nutmeg's toenails for me and a plague of flying ants. All good stuff.


*Barney tells me that actually our engine was one of the most powerful passenger steam Engines. OK, big engines with little trains and big ideas.
**And he also tells me (with emphasis) that the train we travelled on in scotland was NOT the Hogwarts Express...or the Hogwarts Castle or whatever it was called. They borrowed another train for the film. Ok.

5 comments:

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent photos as usual. Hope your eye's alright - I've had to have a foreign body removed from my eye before which involved eyepatch sellotaped over my eye, a throbbing eyeball which felt the size of a golfball wedged in my head and a very thin, very long crochet hook type thing.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Ouch--I do hope that smut vacates soon.

I must be stuck in some 'previous life' obsession with trains. That whole era of steam locomotives is one I just adore. (not all the fine details, mind you--just the passion of the era)

I love the photos. I could almost hear the clickety-clack.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Him indoors informs me he knows Alton because he has stayed at a lorry park behind the high street opposite Sainsbury's. He has seen the signs for the railway but not the actual railway itself. :-)

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Kata said...

bummer on the smut in the eye there my pretty! Hope it's out by now...awesome photos~! I like the portrait of the mister...

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Smut definitely retreating thanks everyone...I think frightened away by Thursday's awful tale! (not sure which sounds worse, the golf ball or the crochet hook!)
I'm not sure why I like steam trains so much Mel, I certainly liked them before I'd ever heard of Thomas the tank. They are somehow irresistably impressive.

The station was quite hard to find Faery..a good deal of indignant mutterings about stupidly placed signs :). Have to say I missed Sainsbury's too!

Mangey, he has that smug look of a person who is just where he wants to be don't you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home