Saturday, July 01, 2006

Anyone want to see my holiday snaps?

Oh go on, you know you want to :)
Can't decide...a few choice pics and a potted holiday or a separate blog. with everything on it. (er, well, not actually everything...I don't think blogger has room for that many pics)
Well maybe both. (There's a link to the holiday blog over there if you really want to read all about it and see an awful lot of pictures of lochs and mountains and stuff)

The Sound of Mull.

I'm quite sure someone has either painted a famous picture of this or a famous photographer has already done it. This will probably be true of several pics from this holiday.
Meanwhile, a potted hol.
The weather was fantastic, the traffic stayed away for the whole of all our journeys, scottish food is pretty good, the scenery (as we were frequently told) is as beautiful as anything you'll find anywhere in the world and the people are, well people. The midges are impressively vicious and industrious, especially around Loch Lomond. The Glens are peaceful and full of birdsong and the sounds of running and thundering water. The skies glower magnificently. The roads are mostly empty and go from good to apalling without warning. The lochs and rivers brood and sparkle. Fish leap and gulls sail overhead calling their mournful cries. The famous places are justly so.
And the mountains. Ah, the mountains. They may not be the biggest or the most picturesque but they have dark and awful tales to tell and are clothed in dark green and golden velvet grass and shadows and crowned with cloud and granite spires. They wear silver ribbons of water.


We have come back fat (very fat) happy and exhausted.
It was great. It's wonderful to be home.
Oh and the coffee was crap and the wine was no more than average but haggis is the food of giants and is quite delicious (though unsuitable for small fat people). smoked salmon is much nicer in scotland than from waitrose and was even offered for B&Breakfast. and it's true, you get chips with everything (except breakfast).
And I took The Kite Runner for bed time reading and it's brilliant.

Loch Lomond

10 comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Looks like you had a fab time. Smashing pictures and I am dea jealous! :-)

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Urban Chick said...

ooh, i love the first photo: very dark and brooding...

and to think this is all on my doorstep now!

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh my.

I'm beyond envious of the view.


Welcome back!
GREAT photos as always, Mig.
Thank you.

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I did Faery...it's a most beautiful place.

I'm jealous of you now UC, I really wish it didn't take nearly two days to get there.

Thanks Mel, it's lovely to be back too. Though I'm going to miss having all that water and mountain round every corner.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Kata said...

Wow..you did capture Scotland very well with both words and photos there my little traveler! I adore Scotland and hope to retire there someday...*sigh*

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I like the views. . .

;-)

oo-er-yuk, I remember the midges at Loch Lomond. . .

*itching and scratching at the thought*

and, I couldn't leave a comment box with pictures like this in the post without adding:

"little boat!" "little boat!"


*laughing a lot*

great to have you back Mig and great that you had such good hols!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

Good to have you back. I'm v envious. You never took me to Scotland *sulks*

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I'll join you there in retirement then Mangey :) If I haven't fallen in love with another 6 places in the meantime....trouble is there are so many lovely places in the world.

Little boats were very much on my mind I...especially as they look so frail and white and butterfly like against the mountains. Loch Lomond midges are a bit special though aren't they :)

Angelita, we never went to Scotland before...at least only before you were born and only to visit a friend for a couple of days and apart from scotch pies and smooth single malt all I remember about it is snow and heartburn..Oh and being expected to peel potatoes with a blunt knife.
And once when I was very little and was terrorised by sitting at the top back row in the Edinburgh Festival Hall (? maybe) to watch ballet. Not good for a person with no head for heights.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Oh to be able to travel. Sigh.

Yes, The Kite Runner was good, wasn't it?

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Heartbreakingly good Guyana.
I wish you could travel too...would love to read your stories about travelling :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home