Monday, June 12, 2006

Thunder and roses

There are two people in our family who have the power to make any other member feel that clenching of the stomach that comes with anxiety. (Possibly us others have it too but decline to use it). They are Barney and Youngest. neither of them will hesitate to use words to back up this ability and both are articulate (far too articulate in my opinion). But both can produce a warning thundercloud of suppressed fury without a word being spoken. They are both able to make anyone within range, feel that the cares of the world are on their shoulders alone and everyone else should be helping to carry their heavy burden.
Over the years a good deal of time and effort has been expended by other members of the family on soothing and blocking and avoidance. (not that the rest of us are saints you understand, just that we have a healthy sense of self preservation). However, when the two of them are directing thunderclouds at each other, there's no way to deal with it except to stand well out of the way! These days, I tell them both as soon as they mention each other, nothing to do with me...I'm not getting in between you two! I used not to have so much sense.
Anyway, just now, they are directing their stomach clenching powers at each other and I wonder whether it's like two moving bodies heading towards each other or two drugs combined...if the effect is multiplied by putting the two together. Or if because they both do it, neither of them feels the effect.
Youngest refuses to speak to Barney and Barney, well I haven't even suggested thet he make any kind of soothing overtures. He wouldn't, I suspect, mind telling some more home truths and Youngest would quite like to unburden herself of a good deal of unwanted information about the unreasonable ways in which Barney shouldn't demonstrate his love for his children.
Barney and Eldest used to have a similar problem, except eldest doesn't do the thundercloud thing (as far as I remember) and cured the situation by leaving home, getting a job and becoming happy and secure in his own right.
Middle one's problem was more that she was always good, well behaved and hardworking and so when Barney's ire wanted to fall on her he had to fall back on petty stuff like how she held her fork and how much she ate. the scars remain but I have hopes that they will fade...I had a similar Father and mine did. (I'll do me and my Mum and Dad another time)

I should point out that all three were burdened with a seriously absentminded Mum, who was reliably late for everything (almost always), clothed them from charity shops and sometimes remembered to feed them more or less on time. But apart from occasional frightening outbursts of misdirected rage, was pretty even tempered and understanding. Swings and roundabouts sort of a Mum.
Oh and I should also point out that Barney's thundercloud thing was intermittant and in between he could be generous, committed and immensely caring. (you've got to be able to see all five viewpoints from the middle of a family...?)

It'll be interesting (as in the ancient chinese curse) to see how they settle it...if they do.

But today I persuaded the back door keys to work. This is a very good thing as the back door won't stay shut unless it's either locked or bolted and Barney had the only working key. So off he would go, locking the door behind him and when I came down (a little later) I could only get to the washing line and the garden by going round the house from the front. Very inconvenient. Especially when the dog was desperate to go out and relieve himself. For some reason, he has to have company when going for a pooh and it takes him a good while to choose the perfect place and get himself poised for action. Barney hasn't the time (or the patience) to deal with all this in the morning so that's one of my first tasks of the day. And if you have to go all the way round the house to do it it's a pain!

A bit of nostalgia, perpared in advance for posterity.

And a rose bud. I like that pink creamy look, next to the battered cream paint.

4 comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

what a relief to hear about normal family life!

(what is it about middle children, eh?!)

oh, and a gorgeous rose too

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Kata said...

*raising hand* middle child here...I used to throw thunderbolts and everything else I possibly could when eldest sis and I were around eachother. Violence would ensue...my poor mother! We eventually grew out of it...

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

hmmmm, me too, and I have one as well. . .

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger concerned citizen said...

All that sounds so familar.
My three children seem pretty much like yours except, My oldest is the one that terrorizes the rest of us. I have yet to learn to stay out of her conflicts with father. I have some weird need to jump in & try to deflect it.

Middle daughter is the 'good' one. Poor thing always trying to make up for her sister.

& the son, well he's the 20 year old baby that we all spoil.

I love the picture of the window.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home