Thursday, June 08, 2006

I sat down to do a bit of blogging and clicked the mouse and up came whatever it was I was looking for.
I may be about to become less than clear.
It was nice the way the mouse clicked and the thing happened. I get the same thing with driving sometimes, turn the wheel, change the gear, accelerate. The car does it's thing and makes its noises and it all works.
These are things that I do automatically, not needing to think about them consciously. But every so often I get a definite message from the body...something like "that was nice"
It pleases my body that these things work and as I get older, there are less of them. More things require thought because the body doesn't do them so well. (pooh)

I took up the violin when I was 35, having not played an instrument since I was ten and did piano for a year (after which my piano teacher and I agreed that I wasn't really that interested...though I did love looking at her Book of Russian Fairy Tales which was stunningly and fabulously illustrated). Learning to play violin brought a whole new set of body messages, often along the lines of "this is hard...couldn't we find an easier way to do it". and the conscious mind was very much involved...too much maybe. Constantly interfering and making unwanted suggestions. And then absenting itself when I needed it to remind me to hold things a certain way or remember to play LOUDLY here and softly there. Also I did exams..grades 1 to 7 in 9 years. Quite the achiever in fact. And slightly obsessive. (what do you mean, you noticed already :)
I acquired various violins, the good old work-horse hire fiddle (£50's worth of orange varnish). Then a nice little dark brown fiddle which was quiet but pleasant enough. Then a frighteningly beautiful and rich sounding french violin whose only fault was that it really wouldn't stay in tune. Followed by a german Klotz which stayed in tune but sounds like it doesn't love being played. But I did love it being called Klotz. How could you not love a violin called Klotz? And finally a hand me down little beauty with a sweet sound and (according to Simon of previous post, a phenomenal pedigree on which if only I wanted to spend several £000s of pounds in restoration might be worth a fortune).
Which I've now got back after 18 months absence. It's a bit battered and a kind of nondescript brown but it's a joy to handle and it likes me to play it and I'm getting body messages which say "nice, nice, do it some more".
In fact that's what I'm going to do now :). yes I know it's half past midnight but we won't mind.
I'll do some pics of it tomorrow. But for now, consider water.
Oh well Blogger's not playing ball. Tomorrow perhaps there will be water and violins.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home