Tuesday, June 06, 2006

But I hadn't quite finished with Bampton. As well as following morris teams and drinking a lot, we play sticks. Well others do. The game is called Aunt Sally and you throw wooden sticks at a white painted dolly, perched on an iron stand. You get points for knocking her off the stand.

The first year we went, I had a go and my throwing was so 'interesting' that everyone started to leave the pub garden. Aim at the steeple, some kind advisor suggested. so I did and my stick went over the wall into the next garden.
Here's the church and here's the steeple, open the doors and all the people have run away because there's a maniac throwing bits of wood around the garden.
Every year a scratch team of campers take on the might of the village team.
It's David and Goliath all over again. The villagers are mostly small in stature but immense in skill. The campers tend to be quite large people. I will say no more about them. Suffice it to say that in 32 years, the campers have won three games and half a dozen beer legs.
Daisy is one of the stars of the campers team,

And Frank is one of the Bampton team. Lovely action.

And a not inconsiderable thrower herself (she missed the match this year), my birthday girl in borrowed plumage. (and a borrowed coat and my guiness)

7 comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger the Beep said...

slightly unnevingly - we were in dulverton on the same day....

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Great post. Blogger is not letting me see all the pics but I'll come back later. I love these insights into your life!

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Ah Beep, would Dulverton be near the Bampton of horse sales fame in the west country? Because this one's in Oxfordshire. It would have been too too frustrating had we yet again missed meeting by minutes (or miles :)

I hope a revisit will be worth it Kyah :)

Isn't it nice to know you're not the only one I. I feel obliged to mention that she's very good about keeping it away from the gorgeous babe though.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Mel said...

The Brit was very happy to see the sticks being hurled as proof that his stick hurling moments truly existing!

And here I was thinkin' he was telling porkies!

;-)

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Glad to have cleared that up then Mel :)
Be warned though, if he claims to have scored more than six in a leg, that's a porky!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger the Beep said...

Ah MIG, yes it would.
And they had Morris men going round all the villages too.
Luckily, it wasn't quite so hit then.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger the Beep said...

er, hot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home