Monday, June 19, 2006

I like work

I can watch people doing it for hours.
Which is a good thing as we had to watch quite a lot of people working very hard for a long time on Sunday.
I spent quite a long time playing with google earth on friday night and produced a lot of detailed and interesting directions for getting from here to there and onwards to somewhere else and then a little further to another somewhere and finally the last bit (with enlargements) from London to Brighton.
Sadly, as I extolled the virtues of Google earth to Barney on the first leg of our journeyings, the wind snatched the whole lot out of my careless hand and flung them across the motorway with gay abandon. A couple of pages clung hopefully to the bike hitched up on the back of the car but they blew off halfway round the M25.
Still, we managed to get to everywhere we'd planned (Jude and I had a couple of detours after dropping Adam and Barney on Sunday morning but nothing too stressful).
We had a fantastic Thai meal on Saturday night (The George and Dragon in Norbiton) with a friend who put us up for the night. We were only half an hour late on Sunday morning, for the start of the ride and Jude and I only had to sit through about an hour and a half of traffic jams when we arrived in Brighton. (my personal record for the last 3 miles into Brighton is three and a half hours).
After careful navigating round the back streets, we parked successfully and had coffee and wanderings round The Lanes, surprisingly good fish and chips on Brighton Pier and were in good time to watch Adam arriving triumphantly and sweatily at the finish. At this point, I was leaning over the barrier trying to see past the next spectator's long blonde hair to get a finishing photo of Adam. He saw me, and waved and yelled but I failed to see him. (It's really hard to pick out one cyclist flashing past among a hundred others while squinting into the sun with your head on one side). Jude, 3 or 4 people further along the barrier was yelling at him and he missed her. I didn't get a picture of either of them! Adam got his arm stamped to prove he'd completed the ride (He'd lost his bit of card provided for this purpose)
Barney meanwhile was keeping company with the slowest and least fit (and therefore most praiseworthy) member of our group and they arrived two hours later. (The rest of the nominal Pot Kiln Flyers team waited for no woman and had arrived ages earlier in dribs and drabs. This was a shame as the first two or three years, the PK team all came in together with a good crowd of supporters yelling for them.)
We all felt we'd done a good day's work and Adam and Jude went back to London by train to colllect their car while Barney and I drove home under a westering sun past wonderful places like Arundel and Portsmouth harbour. It's a shame I was driving as there would have been some lovely pics to be taken.
While Barney and adam hitched bikes up on the carand put shoes on and stuff like that,
I took a picture of our friend's wonderful garden in the early morning light.


One traffic jam picture of Preston Park.
While wandering in the town, We saw this rather odd-looking arrangement which appeared to involve a man playing a fiddle halfway up a lamp post
But which turned out, from a different angle to be a man playing a fiddle on a tightrope. Pretty impressive I thought. And not a bad fiddle player!

There were crowds on the beach looking like a postcard
Seagulls (one of which tried to steal Jude's noodles)

And distant boats and splendid lamposts

All day the cyclists came (further back in the town they had to wait for traffic so they came in waves)

and finally Barney and Alex arrived and thanks to a higher position I managed to get a picture.
And next week we are going to Scotland. I hope Scotland will stay still long enough for me to take some decent pictures...I'm tired of peering at distant, hurtling figures which turn out not to be the ones I was looking for. But it was fun having Jude's company and I'm so impressed with our blokes!

12 comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

YEAH for Barney and Adam and Alex!!

and yeah for black converse All Stars

and yeah for blogger letting you publish so many photos

and yeah to everyone for having a fab time and such a great post (makes me want to go to the seaside)(while happily leaving the cycling to others. . .)

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously impressive.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Indeed I, especially for the Black converse all stars...very helpful to a person with a bad ankle and sweaty feet :)
And especially yay for sitting on the beach while others cycle.
Have to say I was slightly astonished that I was allowed to post so many photos :)

They were weren't they Thursday..though not more impressive than certain people I know who run up hills:)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

Looks like you had a good day. Did the seagull make off with any noodles??

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Tabby Rabbit said...

I can't believe - afer all that preparation (read: faffing around on Google) that you lost the directions!

Yes, very impressive - cycling efforts plus photo posting efforts!

PS I love the pic of the lampost.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Just great! I love the 70s-esque holiday beach/skyline picture.

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Not sure about the noodles Fran...it was the cheek of it that stunned us both!

Hi Tabby :) It is fairly typical of my life in general, both the faffing and the complete failure to glean anything useful from it!

I think Brighton secretly belongs to another age Faery (especially the really nice fish and chips)

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Kata said...

Per usual, fab batch o' photos Mig! The lamp post and the beach scene are great! Are you guys still having a heat wave?

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

the wave is blowing over...it's still warm but pleasantly windy. Phew!
Not that I complained. did anyone hear me complain? I hope not...I'd hate it if it never happened again :)

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Mel said...

I'm still in awe of the fella playing fiddle on the tightrope!

I don't know how folks could walk by without jiggling him.
*blushing*
I woulda.....

Awesome for Barney and Alex and Adam and for the whole CREW who braved the event.
They're all winners!

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

that is exactly why I wear black Converse All Stars, and denim blue ones, and white ones that I dipped dyed aqua-the-toe-ends and green-the-heel-ends!

(well, bad foot/ankle!!)(not smelly!!!)(no siree, not smelly!!!!)

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Well of course not smelly. Cool and fresh and well supported.
And colourful.

Wnderful sounding (but sadly, designed for slimmer feet than mine :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home