Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Add to list....

It's no good.
I just can't fit everything in.
I used to say I could only do one thing at a time...what I meant was, I could only find time to do one creative thing, one necessary but prosaic thing and all the other things to do with life and people and family and home.
So at one time I had a job and a husband and a busy social life and I wrote stuff.
At another time I had children and a house and a husband and I painted pictures.
At yet another time, there were still children and husband and house but I learnt to play the violin.
The children left but I got a job and a camera and started blogging. (and that's pushing the boundaries of the one thing as it demands writing and pictures...not very serious writing I grant you but it all uses up time)
Now I have only the house and the husband but dammit there still isn't time to do blogging and photos and violin and visit people and go back to painting and sculpture or start anything new.
And I do know that all of the time may run out rather suddenly..it's a thing you have to start believing in when you get past fifty and...well people you've had around all your life start to die off.

And dammit even more, I have to spend time trying to shore up the cracks and failings of a much abused body so as to keep it running well enough to do anything. Like, yesterdayI had to go looking for an under-garment that will hold together various floppy and sloppy bits that I haven't excercised over the years(I must say, it's quite fun feeling the boobs bounce as I walk down the street instead of flopping, though I'm not sure the rest of me is up to the strain of acting as anchor for the suspension bit). Not only are all such garments too long in the back for a short-arse like me but the ones that fit around the boobs are tight around the ribs and if you have to put them on when damp, after swimming for instance (I mean when I'm damp of course, I didn't wear the garment when swimming) it's a bit of a wrestling match cum tarantella gettting them over the other large floppy bits. (Why did I start on undergarments? Oh yes, it took me hours to find one I could even force the poor old body into...shopping for this kind of garment is like eating celery, you don't ingest any calories but you use up a hell of a lot of them in the process)

I'm not actually enormous...I mean I seem to weigh a fairly reliable 11 stone and at 5'3" that's just an indication that I maybe eat, drink and be merry a little more than I ought. And run about not quite enough. Spend a little too much time at the computer and not quite enough doing energetic and valuable housework? Yes that's certainly true...the house is a tip. And I could take the dog for walks* instead of encouraging Barney (a six plus foot verging on skinny type) to walk him to the pub. I look after Barney's health better than I do mine. And it's amazing how all that lovely red Aussie wine reaches the parts that lack of excercise doesn't.

In terms of time, both current lack and possible future curtailment, smoking could be implicated. (pause there to think, pour a glass of wine and roll a cig).

Ah buggritall. tomorow I'll play my fiddle, tidy the house, go out to lunch with my friend, cook dinner, take some pictures, open and shut all the windows several times, blog for only an hour, read other blogs for only the same hour (how was that again?) ....
Oh. It's 01.51 and I need to do a picture, post it, clear up in the kitchen, let the dog out, shut all the windows, do a bit of tooth and foot maintenance, make a list for tomorrow (well If I look at this list I'll be blogging for another hour or two won't I)...

Just one more ciggie and a cup of tea? NO. Get thee to the kitchen woman and do something useful. For tomorrow....

Never mind tomorrow. Here's a bit of last week. To remind me how much fun I do have in between getting old and behaving like a spoilt teenager. I am one lucky old bitch/bag and I think what I was really trying to say today was that I'm a bit cross that I can't organise/bully myself so I can do everything and still get some sleep now and then. Hey Ho. Perhaps I will add sleeping to my list.


*Note to self : add dog-walking to list of time consuming activities needed for maintenance purposes.

6 comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

what a brilliant post

there was me thinking being over 40 was good, now I'm looking forward to being over 50. . . it seems it just gets better and better!

:-)

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Mel said...

The less I have to do, the more I don't get done.

How IS that?!

*scratching head*

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Sam said...

You look lovely in your picture so all that wine and smoke must do some good! I am comforted that its not only me that can't fit it all in. I have the job, the husband, the car, the friends, the band, being sound engineer for the OTHER band, the cats.... blimey my head hurts thinking about it! At least we HAVE stuff taking our time up. How terrible to not have any of those things.

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Looking forward (hopefully) to 60 now I.

It's bit like that cheese with holes in Mel, the more cheese, the more holes, the less cheese. So more cheese = less cheese. See.
*scratches head too*

You're right Faery...it's better to have too much to do than not enough. Much much better.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Mel said...

*chuckling*

Now I know why I don't much like cheese! LOL

Ah well--I figure it's just The Big Guy whittling away at those things that 'just aren't that darn important'.

*snicker*
I'm blaming HIM!

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Hey Mel, if the big guy is whittling away at my time and thinks it's not important he's got another think coming!
Cheese he can do what helikes with...my time is another matter :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home