Monday, June 16, 2008

nothing is ever quite as easy

As it looks like it ought to be.
I came back from holiday (I'm back!) with several thousand (about 4,500) pictures to transfer from laptop to desktop. But laptop needs an uptodate antivirus prog. Norton (which is currently installed and has run out) is getting a bad press and AVG has been recommended (and Oh Bother it's time to make dinner!). However, AVG doesn't want to play with my computer till all other antivirus programmes have been removed. Simple, press-button uninstall doesn't seem to quite do the trick. (Norton doesn't want to let go so easily).
I'm currently arguing with AVG and Norton and the computer about what has been/should be/can be removed, by increasingly unorthodox and aggressive methods.
Ok, it's done. (with no concessions to AGV's strong recommendations about the removal of previous anti-virus programmes. I removed everything I could).
The laptop was very good, on holiday, except for a sad blip where it swallowed a whole (2gig) card's worth of photos. I loaded six cards onto it though so the loss of a card is going to save me a little photo sorting time.
So now I'm transferring photos via DVD from laptop to desktop and it's taking ages and I can't wait!!!
So, day 1. We all 6 arrived in Sowerby Bridge and parked our cars and loaded our selves and all our bags and the dog onto a mini bus which took us to Ashton-Under-Lyne. Where our boat waited. We transferred ourselves, our bags and the dog onto the boat (not without a certain amount of tripping over the dog, our bags and each other). We set off and the boys (aged fiftyish to fifty-nineish) got well stuck into the winding of lock gates and the steering of the boat while the girls sorted stuff, made tea and wandered around the boat enjoying variously, the views, the floating pleasantly along and the interesting internal arrangements of the boat. We arrived at Stalybridge and some of us went shopping while some of us did important things to the boat's innards. We went out to eat and walked a very long way to the Station Buffet where we were able to eat pies with gravy and mushy peas on the railway platform if we so wished (sadly, the famous black peas were off - we had to make do with the ordinary greenish variety).
The girls headed back to the boat while the boys went to a nearby pub. Later the boys returned to find the girls arranged in a row on John and Linda's bed, sipping wine and giggling a lot.
The boat rocked gently, later, snores were heard and all was pleasant and delightful. The dog seemed quite happy with all the arrangements so far as he had been taken for plentiful walks along the towpath and spent several illicit minutes snuggled up with Linda on the bed. (apparently he told her he was cold).
I wasn't joking about eating on the platform. Here are John and Steve, admiring the famous station clock.

One tends, on canal holidays to see a lot of bridgesAnd lockssometimes both together (but not always looking like African masks)Also, in industrial areas, factory chimneysAnd factories with stuff growing on themIn between places where it's all green and lovelyLots and lots of geese and goslings

Ther may be more of these things in days to come. Feel free to avoid this blog if the excess of bridges, locks and assorted holiday stuff gets too much :)


While I was away, floating and virtually incommunicado, I now realise that exciting and alarming things have been going on back here. I must immediately contact my best friends in the real world and check that nothing like that has been happening to them. I thought about you all a lot but I was thinking quite inappropriate thoughts since what you mostly needed was less floaty and more urgently soothing!

Lovely to be back :) got to go to bed now
xxx

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

Mig! I don't know where I've been but it's been too long since I was here with your beautiful photographs. A canal holiday sounds gorgeous and instantly makes me want to dig out my copy of Thee Men And A Boat which makes me laugh like a drain (especially the part about the tin of pineapple)...

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Mel said...

GEESIES!!!!!

And NORMAL water...and existing bridges! (not the ones that have fallen down under torrential flood waters!)

*happy sigh*
I'm soooooooo glad to see locks and other cool stuff.....versus devastation and 'ick'...

(((((( Mig )))))))))

Darn antivirus gunk....
Battle on--we're talking cool photos here...

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Mel said...

k.....I wanna sit on the boat and giggle.....

(I'll pass on the wine, thanks!)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

sounds lovely

I do like locks and bridges and factory chimneys and brick-built factories and and and

:-)

glad you had a good time. . .

XXX

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Betty F said...

What wonderful photos. I've missed them this week. So glad you're back and will look forward to more posts of your trip. I also need to look up Canal Holidays since it's not something I've heard about in these parts.
Well, if your don't count river rafting in Mesa down the Salt Water River, your own raft and the one filled with beer. that is tied to yours :) I've never tried it.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Ovagirl, how lovely! :) I haven't been over to yours for a while either. They serialised 'Three Men in a Boat' on TV a while ago - quite well too. It was even funnier than I remembered :) I must come and see how your lovely tomato boy is getting on - he must be even more wonderful by now :)

Ah Mel, I was so sorry for you with all the floods - as if you hadn't had more than enough weather already! There was room for you - and juice and fizzy water - no popcorn though. Next time :)
Thank you dear I, there will certainly be more of all those things. Believe it or not, I nearly got photoed out by the end of the week!

Rafting down a river with beer attached sounds like Barney's sort of thing Betty, though I'd certainly go for it as long as there was some floating involved :)
There are canals in the USA somewhere,I can't immediately remember where, but they're much bigger than ours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home