Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Afterthoughts

Always the most infuriating. So many things I didn't ask and so many subjects gently skirted. That's always the way when you know someone well in one setting (I am so reminded of a friend of mine who's known for recognising swimming acquaintances in the street and saying "I didn't recognise you with your clothes on") and then you meet them somewhere out of context.
And I realise that lovely ISLTV and I both come from backgrounds where stuff isn't openly broached because it isn't 'done'. (Am I right?)
And she's such a lovely thoughtful companion and so ready to hear me babble - which I do, I expect you noticed.

So I've come home after a lovely, stimulating, exciting day, seeing art works which I would never have gone to see on my own and suddenly I realise that, although we talked about lots of things, I never asked stuff I wanted to know about and care about. Well, the virtual relationship is a back to front business really. Dammit I didn't even say thank you for the art gallery which was a real joy to one who loves visual things.
I feel fairly sure we'll do it again :) Sooner. I hope so.
Yes, next time or the time after or one day, come to the Berkshire countryside dear I and I'll try and find somewhere as special and beautiful to share with you :)

The time we had went like lightning. But we did see the really marvellous and entrancing "Village" and declined to scramble in the top of a globe, supported by air and a plastic membrane or to paddle in a pond hanging over nothing (tho we did enjoy watching other people doing those things).

We saw an airy, wonderful staircase made of fine netting, created by a Korean artist who has the sewing done by Korean ladies (because he thinks their skills should be appreciated and anyway I guess if you want sewing done and you know ladies who do it well you look to them rather than someone far from home and foreign).

And a marvellous, um, house....how to describe it? Another Korean showing how his Korean life and experiences crashed with America when he moved there and were almost obliterated by the American lifestyle. This isn't telling it right. Imagine a hurricane picking up a Korean house and blowing it into the side of an American apartment block (just a little one, 3 stories high) so that the fragile Korean environment is quite smashed and the American part bleeds into it. and the rubble scatters and the Korean house is broken but the American apartments remain intact. Then see this as a doll house, recreated 1/5th the size of a real pair of houses. Slice through the whole thing and see the American interiors all detailed and intact, like a big doll's house, and the fragile Korean building swept out with only rubble left inside.
Oh, impossible.
I expect I has already found a link which will show you it!

A many-agonal aluminium tunnel with a funnel view from halfway up. Just a totally different way to get from one part of the gallery to the next.

An explosion with all the parts, of the room that exploded, hanging in the air in a frozen moment. Broken bricks, furniture, fittings, all poised. will they stay for ever? will they implode back into place? will they go further out? Was it an explosion or a blast of wind? A big, motionless question, the answer shattered into a thousand pieces.

We didn't much go for the grunting, huffing person videoing a series of rooms (the soundtrack sounded so like a hungover person looking for something he'd lost that I half expected him to throw up any minute - actively not nice). Tho' the theatre in which we saw the video was interesting.
We weren't so impressed with what looked like two rooms that had been shot up by gangsters. Big bullet hole-looking things are just bigger than real ones.

We liked the frog. Though it said nothing frog at all.

And 'Village' was the best.

You'll see that I was quite blown away by my first art experience in much too long!

But the best thing was seeing ISLTV.

Which is good because I just realised that though I took a few photos (London is distracting - I need time to get accustomed to a place) I forgot to remove the thing that screws the camera to the tripod, last night. This disables the vibration reduction thingie so all today's pics will probably be blurred!

Thank you for a lovely day and a fabulous visual treat and your company I. Most of all for your company, really.

7 comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Ohhhhh......I raced from one to the other to get the scoop!

Lucky youse guys......

:-)
What a grand time of it with the greatest of company!

<--smiling happily

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

:-)

you said so many reassuring things whle we talked - perhaps you didn't realise

the most reassuring thing was you wanted us to meet

thank you

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Zig said...

I'm so jealous!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Wonderful day Mel :) *smiling back*
*and waving*

Whatever pops into my woollie little head I. If it's reassuring that's a relief - I'd hate to be whatever the opposite is!
Thank you! Again, again - sooner :)

I'm jealous of your lovely stream and pond ziggi :) I've always wanted a stream running through the garden.

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Mel said...

*happy sigh*

I'm so glad for a wonderful day--it was wonderful slipping home to check on the adventure, knowing it would be a treat for the both of you.

:-)

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

:)

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home