Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Moonglow

It's a sort of foggy or misty or cloudy night.
I took Nutmeg out for his late night amble and we both stopped at the top of the steps to view the scene in our different ways. He sat on the top step and sniffed the damp air and I wondered at the glow of the moon through the clouds which gave enough muted light to see quite clearly across the valley.
There was a single light shining over there, probably at the big house. I imagined a time when there might be fewer people in the world and fewer lights. No city glow on the horizon and no traffic on the motorways. Out here in the country you know when there's a power cut in the neighbouring bit of grid and you can guess how far a cut extends. Whether it's Newbury or Reading that's out.
I thought, if we no longer had apparently unlimited power, you'd know if there was trouble over there across the valley ('cos the noises would carry and you'd see lights not doing their usual things) and you might set off through the fields to find out if help was needed or if trouble might be coming your way next. On a night like this you could see where you were going without a torch. Odd because it's easier to see when the moon is veiled as it is tonight than when it's bright and clear.

Well the evening before it was huge like this
And then later it was small like this
And then the day after (today in fact) there was no moon but a kind of golden haze over everything.
And I rediscovered the warm colour setting on the camera which made the golden haze worth taking pictures of even though they didn't come out very sharp. To think I've spent so many hours fiddling with exposures and filters and the camera could have doen it for me by itself!
Oh well, time for bed.
I hope you had golden haze and soft colours today too.

4 comments:

At 4:58 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh, but what a gorgeous moon.
And tonight we had a brilliant sunset (which I didn't capture on camera cuz I was working, dangitall...).

That's one fancy camera you've got to take such wonderful photos.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I'm glad you like the moon Mel :)
Isn't it soo frustrating when you can see something wonderful happening but can't take a snap! Still at least you get to see it :)

As for the camera, fancy it is. Sometimes I think it could do the whole job all by itself :)

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

the soon to-be-ex lives in this swanky appartment on the river at present, he faces East and he bought this telescpey thingy and one time I was there and we looked at the moon thru it - the craters around the edge of the moon are amazing. . . the only thing is the moon keeps rising, so you keep having to adjust the angle of the telescopey thing. . .

I never understood why the moon can appear so huge to the eye and yet when you take a photo of it it's all small again - I know it's all to do with being low on the horizon and your eye having something to compare it's size too, but then I dont understand anything further

%-/

;-)

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

The rising of the moon also means long exposures give you a strange blobby moon !
I thought it's bigness near the horizon was something to do with the atmosphere acting a bit like a magnifying glass. When you look towards the horizon you're looking through it at an angle so it's thicker. It's a bit hard to believe it's just an optical illusion. I must look it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home