Saturday, November 24, 2007

The computerman cometh

At least, he doesn't yet but I have looked at him and spoken to him and as far as it's possible to make a judgement he appears to be able to understand human speak about computers.
Fact is, with the far distance of Eldest and the elusiveness of computer friend, I feel the need of a pc man of my own and £30 an hour won't break the bank. I might ask him for some references :) I don't suppose he'll offer any though. There doesn't seem to be any computer repair man's watchdog body to check up with, possibly because there isn't an established qualification for such a huge subject?
Eldest said when questioned on the advisability of getting someone in, that he probably wouldn't be able to do much more than Eldest himself. But that is a lot more than I can do and since I'd be paying him, he'd have more time at my disposal...as much as I'd be prepared to pay for in fact.

It's not that the computer is overtly saying "groan, creak, I'm broken" Or even "_______". Just the odd little rumble like missing mouse and restarting required every so often when things hang. I'm being very foresighted for a change. I've had too many experiences of computers suddenly going "_________"at me when I've got used to restarting to sort minor problems. And the other day Norton said it had 'encountered an error' during a scan and didn't finish it. And then wouldn't open at all till I'd restarted. Needs attention.
Not to mention the vanishing of 20 odd 000 photos!!!! However temporary :)
I might ask the man how much a full service would cost. I bet it 'depends'.

But for once, indeed the first time in my computing life, I'm sort of able to consider something like this. All my photos are on a separate external hard drive, back ups have been done and all my really important programmes are genuine, fully paid up items with serial numbers and even some discs!
I could even consider organising a recovery disc thingy! Almost (but not quite) I feel I could make my own back up/recovery disc thingy :)
The main thing is, I feel the possibility of a "________" event looming and for once, I intend to forestall it!
It's a bit like taking the car to a mechanic when you hear the funny noise in the back left hand corner instead of waiting till the back left hand corner falls down and the car bursts into flames :)

And good afternoon to you too :)



This was a very good morning. I only took a few photos from the bathroom window, in deference to the snuffling and coughing thing though. A few stars got left behind in the melting frost.

So, when you start to pour from the milk bottle into your cup of tea and realise just as it blobs in that it's gone thick and will now briskly curdle, do you think "ooh, yoghurt" or "Euw, listeria (or salmonella or whatever's your favourite bacteria)"?
I just can't decide!

Labels: , , , ,

3 comments:

At 3:29 AM, Blogger Mel said...

I think.....swap with the Brit. LOL I know, I'm rotten. LOL

Oh, 'putery problems=the girl cometh for dinner!
(this IS why I put the lovely thing through college, yaknow!)

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having just acquired a new laptop, I have plans to do recovery disks, regularly defrag and all the rest of it - just as I intended with the last one ... and didn't.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Mel your foresight was much greater than mine! (and your way of dealing with milk also :)
I know Thursday. I think my laptop gets an occasional defrag/clean up thing. But it has so many clever security and maintenance options I tend to go a bit glazed whenever I think about them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home