Sunday, November 18, 2007

Procrastination

Sunday is a good day for it. I was going to take the washing basket upstairs and fill it but Barney is cooking to Bach's 1st Brandenburg Concerto so I have to stay and listen.However while I'm doing that and blogging, I can sort out the heap of bits of paper with very useful information and important lists on them which currently litter my desk.
Sort of displacement activity really*. Over the years I have done so many displacement activities it's a wonder I haven't ended up in another universe. Well if I had I might not know. So maybe in another universe I am busily filling up the washing basket. Wonder if Barney is listening to Bach over there.**
This bit of this universe is quite warm and pleasant just now. The fires are lit so the wind isn't coming down the chimney any more. Earlier we had a brief power cut which mended itself before I could phone to ask how long it would be dark. I quite like power cuts in a perverse way. I like the sudden confrontation with winter dark and powerlessness. It reminds me that we may have gadgets and wonders but we are still only human. And sometimes I find it a bit hard to live up to the munificence of modern (Western) living and the idea that since nothing is impossible, everything should be achieved. Especially as I often seem to have to defend some of its aspects from the disparagement of my resident technological dinosaur.

Last leaf - gone today.
And woody nightshade berries. Too glossy to eat! (fortunately since they're not edible)

Last rose, hanging in there despite frost and rain and wind and weather.
Too cold to go out but the sun came in anyway and shone on my old glass jar full of stones and shells :)
Got to stop procrastinating now. I've been doing it for a whole day and night and now it's Monday.

*An action designed to draw attention away from a potentially confrontational situation. F'rinstance why are you sitting in front of your computer while I'm slaving over a hot kitchen????
**Or of course, the displacement could be of another kind, whereby huge quantities of space displaced by my having placed myself in them may be piling up somewhere waiting to topple over onto an unwary person. Just keep an eye out for those space heaps. I've no idea where they all went!

2 comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh I'm soooo glad to know we're not the only nut cases who put shells and rocks in jars.
Himself had four bottles of rocks shipped from England on the boat......we're too silly, huh?

Wonderful photos, as always.
I was feeling the strain on that last rose, but hanging on to hope that spring will return. It just will.

Procrastination?
Lemme get back to you on that one.......

;-)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

It's a bit of home or holiday memory isn't it? The shells and rocks thing :) As well as looking pretty :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home