Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Why break the habits of a lifetime?

Aah! Well because even after a lifetime some of them still don't work efficiently.
This evening I drove back from doing shopping and a bit of guess what.
I found that as I drove, my head was rabbiting on about what time the sun would shine best on that tree and what exposure might be needed to catch that hillside in the sun and what a fabulous shot that flock of rooks would make if only I were at the top of that hill and....and...
"Shut up" I found myself saying. there was a brief pause and then the head went on, rabbit rabbit rabbbit....

No wonder I need a blog. Look, I'm rabbiting on as though I'd never said it!


SHUT UP!!!!!!

.
.
.
.

Hmm.

OK. Habits.
Well first of all I need to go and make dinner, feed the wildlife (they think it's teatime though of course that won't be for an hour in current time but it seems unfair to make them fit the vagaries of people time) and keep track of 475 photos I'm downloading.
Three quite useful habits actually. Combined, however with a bad one. Start something and then get bored and start three more at the same time. Screw up at least two of them in the process. Fortunately Barney went out for a couple of hours so I was able to do a retake on the dinner part (but not a whole remake thank heavens).
Then I needed to make a list of things I must do tonight (some of them were on that list I hadn't done any of the other night). So I did that. And the third thing on the list. Then I did something not on the list. Then it was dinner time. Then I did some more of what wasn't on the list and now I have two choices. Either do a scalded cat impersonation and do the other things or skip the list and go to bed.
Maybe I'll just do some more of what wasn't on the list.
Bad habit...make a plan ( a perfectly good and effective plan) and then do something completely different.
Wasting time making lists of things I won't do. Bad!
Really I have one enormous bad habit. Not doing all those things I ought to be doing before doing the things I want to do.
Hmm.
Oh and another bad habit is letting my head rabbit on to itself when it ought to be paying attention to things. Blogging was supposed to be a way of using some of that up but it seems to have worked like fertiliser on a weed. The head now not only rabbits but occasionally imagines it's having good ideas for the next blog. As if any of it gets remembered!
Bad rabbit habit :)

But yesterday, I just had to go out with the camera (and I did have to do a bit of shopping) because it was this sort of day. Finishing with a burst of glorious evening gold.
And rougeing the inside of this unexpectedly fabulous church. The outside isn't very prepossessing but the door was open. What a gem!
And coming home to windows, with Barney inside the office one and the sunset reflecting off the other!
Oh and while shopping, I caught a Gingko. Such a wonderful tree. The leaves are somewhere between flower and butterfly-shaped and the yellow in Autumn is like shower of golden wishes.
Autumn is a time of knowledge. That things change and can be beautiful in the changing. That the seasons still endure but may not for ever. That nothing is forever and sadness follows joy. That there are gifts of gold and light and memories to take with us into the cold. That as there has been a past, there may yet be a future. Promises. Berries to hoard against winter. Life stored in advance against the cold.
Oh, and that the central heating oil is getting low and needs replenishing!
Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Well said, madam. Autumn is a promise of change.....and the birdie bath was frozen this morning as proof.

I am sooooooo glad I'm not alone in those hippity hoppity thinking patterns (if they even resemble a patter is yet to be discovered.).

Yeah but, yeah but, rabbit, rabbit, hop hop hop...... Sounds nicer than 'shut up'. LOL

(((((((((Mig)))))))))))

Make a list, lose a list, make a list, lose a list..... OH LOOK...a chicken!
*nodding* The Brit so deserves pity........

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh it's the chicken that does it!!!!
Well that makes everything all right :) Now I can abandon my list happily and go hunting for chickens :)
What would I do without you Mel :)
(((((((((Mel))))))))

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Mel said...

LOL Oh, great. Barney'll think you've gone mad if you suddenly stop yourself with an "Oh LOOK...a CHICKEN" statement.

Ah well, if he's anything like the Brit you'll just be the recipient of a pat on the head and a shake of his.
Himself has ceased trying to help me focus my thinking and has learned to 'enjoy the ride'.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I get the head shake and a raised eyebrow. Some people will never learn to enjoy the ride but must always be applying brakes and steering. Such a waste of effort!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

that reminds me of the Zen Dog "he knows not where he's going, for the ocean's will decide, it's not the destination, it's the glory of the ride"

and now I forgotten what I was going to say about your post!

%-)

lovely photos probably!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Well I like the Zen dog's ride anyway ILTV :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home