Friday, October 26, 2007

The natural disorder of things.

Ever since watching a very interesting programme about sleep disorders, during which one couple were told that the husband's noisy, disruptive and unpleasant behaviour during the night wasn't technically a sleep disorder because he wasn't technically asleep (!) I've been looking askance at Barney on certain mornings when he's had a more than usually 'active' night!
Especially when, just as I seem to have drifted off he suddenly pats me on the backside, gives a volcanic heave which simultaneously removes six inches of duvet from my person and moves him six inches closer to me (this is surely not accidental? It doesn't make sense.*), flinging out a large pointy knee or foot with which to push my cold little feet or knees nearly out, over the edge.
If this is followed by a comment such as "Flmmpph, hahahah, uuurh, tootle, phmmm........Mmmmmm :)" and then a long peaceful snore, I get quite cross.
If it happens several times I get very cross and have to go downstairs, have a cig and a tiny cup of tea and read for half an hour to reset myself for sleepiness. If that works and I'm just gratefully drifting off again and he repeats the process......
Well I know I ought to kick him. But then he gets hurt and sorrowful and mutters about separate beds and is grumpy in the morning!
Last night was such a night and I can only be very glad that he's off to visit Father in Law for the weekend. As, due to lack of sleep, I have an upset stomach, aching joints and a disordered ** (and aching) brain. Therefore I've cancelled a fiddle lesson and done bugger all else today!
Just as well I went walkabout last Sunday:)




Or there'd be just nothing to show you :)
Anyway, I seem to have recovered now it's 10 o'clock at night. Which is a bit late to do anything else useful. Never mind.
Tomorrow is another day.
Although tomorrow never comes.
But there's jam tomorrow right :)
I'm now going to go to bed (yes very early) and wrap myself in a whole duvet and sleep right in the middle of the bed and occasionally fling some arms and legs of my own.



*In that, if he unconsciously moves himself away the duvet would naturally go with him but moving towards me ought to move the duvet towards me too? And, spot the arithmetic. Six inches less duvet + six inches less bed space = twelve inches less sleep!
**It's not working.

I didn't actually quite get to bed yet as I foolishly had a 'quick' look at my favourite blogs. I'm just off now. Goodnight all :) If you had duvet enough and space....No that's not quite right. World enough and time.....
Well I hope you have :)

10 comments:

At 3:56 AM, Blogger Mel said...

(((((((( Mig ))))))))))) What a lovely walkabout!

Love the trees and the spidery webby ones...*sigh* autumn is such a lovely time.

No battle for the snuggly quilt here!
I simply take it. *snickering*
I apparently think I'm 'entitled' since I'm the one who quilted the darn thing.

*hugs*
Nice to have you back, Mig.
I was missin' ya!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Well I'm gald some one knows how to deal with quilt thieves Mel :)
(((((Mel)))))nice to be back too :)

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

glad, that would be.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I noce slept in a bed so large that five people (two bigs ones and three small ones) could fit across it quite happily. . .

well, I don't really mean happily. . .

you know. . .

when the small ones grew up a little there was a very very big (cold) gap in the middle. . .

I have a much smaller bed now and Smallest Person often comes in for a cuddle, she's a duvet thief and I spend most of the night wrestling it back from her, as she rolls herself up init like a cocoon. . .

or pulling it up if she's kicked it off. . . I think the solution is to have one duvet per person if one can't bear to move into separate beds

of course, living in separate houses can do wonders for a relationship too - no fighting over the duvet then!

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

and that spiders web is AWESOME

glad you weren't away too long and Ill get back to you re little boats as soon as I can (bit busy this end with secondary school applications for SP)

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

(have you tried a new mattress? or swapping which sides of the bed you sleep on? the separate houses thing wasn't a suggestion BTW more a contemplation!)

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

and please don't fall out of the window or catch a chill - even tho the photos might be worth it, losing you wouldn't!

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I think I've left enough comments now. . . need to go to sleep myself!!

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I have often considered both the separate beds and even the separate house options ILTV! Thing is our bed is both big and quite firm. It's the other occupant who needs dealing with. If he would just sleep a little more tidily!
Small people, I seem to remember, have an enormous number of pointy bits. As well as being quite lively sleepers. But then we all know that men are like children!
Falling I am not. I do worry about dropping the camera tho :)
And don't worry about little boats :) Any time :)

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Now I'm going to wonder about separate duvets :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home