Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Of work and leisure.

Today (and yesterday) I began the large task of making greetings cards out of photos.
Said photos being all virtual of course so the process includes persuading the computer and printer to agree on the size of the end product...not, you understand the file size, or the number of pixels or the size on the screen or whatever other sizes you might have been thinking about (you weren't? The computer does) but the actual piece of printed paper that has to fit neatly and attractively inside a little 'aperture' in a piece of card.
In the end it seems the only way to be sure that the picture fits into the card is to make the actual image a good bit smaller than the aperture and then add a border which is a good bit larger. The border has to look nice, both with the picture and the card....it also has to look as though it was intended to be there for a purpose other than making sure the picture doesn't fall out of the card.
Other pictures have to be persuaded, in the same way, to fit into picture frames (which I collect from charity shops).
Next I am going to decide on a sensible size (which the computer will tell the printer to produce without too much argument and adjustment) and order a large number of card blanks and mounts (mattes) ready made. I am also going to order lots of little plastic bags to put cards in and then I shall arrange the cards in nice little packages...flowers, skies, animals, landscapes, ducks (Ducks??? Oh all right then, ducks too) *and so on...Oh and I shall probably also order two or three box/shelf thingies for displaying cards on a stall. and sticky labels for prices and stuff. Maybe little contact sheets for the back of each packet? With descriptions)
Oh ...very important...I shall post the letter to Art on the Park (which is a sort of Green park arts display only in Newbury's Vickie Park) asking if they have any pitches to spare for li'l ol' me.
And when I have a large amount of cards and pictures mounted (matted?) I shall email the Beep and ask him to introduce me to the man who runs the Oxford Market where he has his (lovely and full of desirable things) stall.
It may take a while yet though...I just counted and the result of eight hours work and some backache, is 27 cards and 12 pictures. Probably not enough yet to make some kind of enticing display on a market stall (besides being a not very sensible number of cards).
So much for work.
Leisure now, that's what we did in Romney Marsh :)
We rode on the little train
We climbed the old lighthouse
We looked at the view (and went Ooooh! Look at the view!!! As you do)
Then I looked at the giant lantern and went Oooh some more
We walked down to the sea (where oddly enough, the shore was bristling with rod and line fishermen - just over the shingle bank)Watched the train coming back for our return ridePored over the map as we went past Derek Jarman's garden
Wondered why (or indeed whether) people actually live here
And enjoyed the views
Quite hard work really, this leisure business!

*Yes and little boats too of course :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 comments:

At 5:43 AM, Blogger Mel said...

You're DOING it!! You're DOING IT!!

Yippee for you!!

Gosh, I'm so excited for the adventure you're embarking on.
Duckies and little boats, too!
Ohhhhh....what fun, Mig.
Okay, okay..so it's time consuming and work.
But what FUN!

I so hope the adventure stays fun for you, really I do.

*asking nicely*
Can we have a peek at the finished product, please ma'am?

*doing happy dance*
You're doing it!!

(oh and what lovely photos you gave us of your leisure business)

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been on that railway - during a two week school trip to St Mary's Bay.

Yay for you on the card front.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

Goodness, v impressed. Look forward to seeing you on the market, then :-)

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Mel said...

And can I tell ya how envious I was of that little train?

What a cute little thing...

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I hope the ratio of time consumed to results produced will improve considerably when I've been doing it a bit longer Mel...Otherwise I might just be ready for a stall by Christmas!

Barney went on a school trip, 47 years ago Thursday...just the same, St Mary's Bay and the railway trip :)

I'll let you know Fran:) (or should I say Copper Top :)

Thought you'd like the little train Mel :)

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thanks biby cletus, the Kerala blog is fascinating:)

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh - I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE light houses!

may I buy one of those on a card please? (and some with the lichen on!)

what an exciting trip

and great view from the lighthouse and of the lantern inside the lighthouse

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Carss coming on nicely I...will be up for sale in no time. Well lots of time actually but some time anyway :)

Ooh..the lichen. Must remember to find that lot and get them printed :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home