Monday, March 19, 2007

Computers rule? OK?

???
No not really.
The trouble with them is, the mysteries of their inner workings are so much larger and more mysterious than those of other things that go wrong. Like cars for instance. Who'd a thought I'd ever say cars were simpler than something else!
Tomorrow I'm taking the car to have its innards inspected...throttle control sensor or idle level something. See? Two little parts, either of which may be causing the car to drive itself along even after I've taken my foot off the accelerator.
One local mechanic, one Ford garage, two mornings and a service....nothing to it, relatively speaking. (Of course, that's assuming the Ford garage do in fact find out that either of the little things is causing the problem)
Computers now...one two hundred mile trip to the far North, five frantic evenings, four new bits of software, several hours of raised blood pressure and overheating of the human part of the equation, more money spent than I care to think about and I still have to spend many hours re-installing programmes that vanished when the machine stopped working, several of which claim not to be compatible with Windows vista. (Including my printer software which is a bit of a blow).
Oh and I still have to replace the monitor which may or may not have been involved in the original crash...who can say? I'm using the old clunky one with a wearying flicker and decidedly dodgy colours. And I haven't got Photoshop on the laptop because I'm not sure it'll fit.

Meanwhile either or all of both the various internet connections are behaving a bit randomly...the laptop keeps saying the wireless something is powered off, would I like it powered on? Well yes of course I would! Why won't it stay powered on? It hasn't made that clear to me yet and I don't think it ever will though I did come across a small setting somewhere which might be related to this. Or it might not. Barney's email sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.....

I could go on a lot longer about computers but that would even bore me and I might confuse myself some more which would be a BAD THING.

But WHY ON EARTH does Picasa think I would want to 'hide this file on disc' just because Picasa had a problem loading it?

Well I've had enough. I shall try not to be boring about the computer but since I seem to be spending every hour of the day arguing with it it's getting a bit like one of those difficult relationships that people have to talk about all the time. It's become a great big boiling thing which needs to be tamed and tidied and coerced...How did I get into this? All I wanted was to play with a few pictures and write a bit of music and send the odd email!
Tomorrow I shall get the car investigated and hope that I can book it in to be fixed.

Pictures tomorrow? Maybe. I have stacks on the laptop which need to go on here and then I'll feel tidier again :)
Here's one to be going on with
Boiling clouds and untrammelled growth. (though the clouds were sunlit and the growth is honeysuckle...can't be bad really :)
It's a new week...have fun :)

5 comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger Mel said...

*chuckling*

Oh my......since when did cars become 'simple'?

The heck of it is, I think you might be RIGHT!
And sometimes cars are cheaper and quicker to fix....
LOLOL How sad is THAT? TELL me that doesn't make me geeky....

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Cars. Dont talk to me about cars. My whole LIFE is cars and their troubles at the moment. Hope yours fairs better than MINE is doing :-)
That window is superb.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

lovely billowy clouds!

just imagine the scent of that honeysuckle coming thru the window later on in the year. . .

gorgeous!

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh nononono Me, I'm quite sure that doesn't make you geeky!
A budding mechanic perhaps?
A full grown mechanic?
Not geeky anyway :)

~Thanks samamntha. I believe (and hope) that my car is now good. But I never believe it at first so we'll wait and see. Hope yours is ok soon!

It's the loo window I so I do like to imagine the honeysuckle scent. Trouble is, Barney gets and attack of secateurs just about the time the honeysuckle blooms...I have to fight him off until flowering is over..last year that took a very long time :)
It actually comes in through the windows...creepy tendrils winding round the taps in the kitchen and all over the windows. Very romantic but a bit Dr Who. Or Avengers? whichever programme it was that featured an invading plant:)

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

(Little Shop of Horrors?!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home