Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Once more unto the breach

Long pause here to make coffee....................
But while the coffee's brewing,
I had a list written this morning; fairly short but very much to the point. It went:

Go up to attic and find old monitor
Extract monitor and convey downstairs(hooks and crooks will be needed)
Disconnect current monitor, connect old monitor
Start up computer

(lots more stuff in brackets...since this may have been the point at which a flow chart would have diverged. I like flow charts, they give an illusion of likely progressions for confusing events)

pause to finish off coffee making.............................

Ahhhh! Coffee :)
And a fag.

You may have guessed from my preramble that now my dining room/computer room is littered with monitors, leeds*, stuff off the desk, cleaning stuff (it's amazing how many spiders and how much dust there are behind the average monitor(How about that grammar? I couldn't be bothered to work it out)) and aged instruction manuals. Wires crawl out form under every cupboard and shelf and then crawl back again in an embarrassed sort of way. As well they might. no use to me!
The computer and my list have inevitably diverged. Amazingly, the old monitor is prepared to give things a go but all it could tell me was that windows (apologetically) couldn't restart normally. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. (Oh right!!!!Like the monitor not working all of a sudden)
I've tried the whole of my repertoire of things to do when the computer says it's not working normally and reached the point where a flow chart would say "NO? go back to last known good configuration (that's turn computer off again and look at it sadly. Mutter a few choice words)
The one really good thing to come out of all this is that it now seems the laptop is prepared to connect to the wireless router. It wouldn't last night but actually some little lights on the router were different from normal and now, though I don't know why and have no confidence that this state of affairs will last, they are normal and the laptop is talking to you even though the computer is turned off! Wow or what!!!

Oh No! my coffee's finished. Must make more and pursue computer expert enquiries.

Till next time I'm able to connect.** Be bad, wicked and have fun for tomorrow your computer may die!

*O well, not Leeds of course...even in my dining room that would be excessive, and the roads in Leeds are not easily navigable, having them all here would mean I might never find the computer again; or indeed the front door!
**It may be that I am unable to connect again till the computer's fixed. Don't hold your breath....I may need you to resuscitate me as I am holding mine!

Labels:

4 comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sympathise - I am tomorrow facing the prospect of trying to connect my laptop to the wondrous web at my brother's - we have different ISP's and I have no confidence, unlike the chap at Orange I spoke to this afternoon, that it will work.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I hope yours works ok!
I can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing!!!!!
I think I let the computer do my remembering for me!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I learnt resucitation (but not spelling obviously!) when I did my bronze badge in swimming as a teenager. . .

*ready and waiting*

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thanks I, I'm glad you're around. I'll yell for help any minute i'm sure....Oh, but not without breathing. Oh well, wild flapping gestures and gargling noises!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home