Thursday, February 22, 2007

Leaving Cloud Cuckoo Land

I forgot to say, I'm away for the weekend, visiting sister in law in sunny (?) Leeds.
Barney will help build a raised flower bed in her allotment and I will...um, cook dinner? take some pics? Maybe meet an old blogging friend?

Barney is sad, it seems, because I'm not earning any money. It depresses him.
Must say I'm not sure how much he thinks a totally unqualified person can add to our pension prospects but I think I'll have to stop enjoying the peace of an empty house (except when the weather is bad) and the time to wander round the heavenly countryside and look for a bit of the old gainful.

So, what I've got to look forward to includes, having a bit of extra cash, meeting new people and learning new things, um.....well you never know, maybe finding the other job I've always wanted but couldn't imagine. (yes I know I liked working for ex boss but I seem to have mislaid that job). Er, gaining respect and approval in the workplace? Oh and being able to say "you'll have to feed the animals, I'm late for work and don't forget to lock up and chase the cats out from upstairs and can you make dinner tonight because I've got a meeting", having the satisfaction of knowing I'm contributing (more than I was).

Well, and on the other side, there's having to explain what I did with the extra cash, applying for jobs and being told I'm not quite what they were looking for, trying to think of a good reason why I haven't worked for seven months (other than that I didn't want to), meeting new people and finding that they're a pain to work for/with, finding a job that I don't like much (but I can always make the best of it), being told I'm ever so good with this that and the other but I need to improve that, the other and all these to come up to scratch, having to be polite when they tell me it, worrying that I'm doing it wrong, having to be somewhere every day at the same time until I die, missing a thousand wonderful pictures because I'll be late for work, being late for work because I took one (Oh alright, a few), having to defend my (unwanted ) job from whinges about how I ought to be getting paid more and the house is a bit of a mess (implication being that my contribution hasn't increased enough and I'm not doing my bit at home any more), having to sort out the house after a day's work, hardly ever being able to meet people casually in the day time, coming home with amusing stories about work today and getting the blank look, .....Er, this list seems to be getting longer.
Actually I think I'd better stop making it now. I don't need to work myself into a state over it.
After all, most families have two wage earners and I've had a nice break. And it'll give me something to talk about. Goodness, I made enough fuss when I had to leave the last job....surely I don't need to make a fuss about looking another one. Well actually, yes I do need to. Then I'll consider it calmly and pleasantly with optimism and common sense and I'll pull my feet up and put my socks on the ground and now I'd better pack. Got an early start tomorrow.
Have a nice productive weekend and I hope the sun shines for all of us.

Out' back next door.
Sunny day (I bet it does this all the time when I'm at work)
Grey day (make the best of it)

Oh, and I spend all my time "playing around with photos on that computer...couldn't I get a job doing something like that".

Labels:

12 comments:

At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could sell some of your photos for a little income. Just Matte and Frame them. Lots of them would sell, I think. :)

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh I so totally agree with dav

it must be possible?

can't bear to think of you stuck in an office. . . what will life be like without your beautiful photos - they bring such joy!

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Ya know, it's taken me a bit of time to post to this--I'm actually a bit torn, probably because I know some of the 'back and forth' that gets done in this home.

What about part time work--is that an option? Or selling your photos, matted/framed online?

*sigh*
They're so lovely, Mig.
Maybe himself wasn't off the mark when he made that remark?

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Mel said...

P.S. Have a lovely weekend visit!

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Kata said...

Booo! Down with office work! I agree with the other 2...sell some of those photos Mig! Freelance photography can be quite lucritive (I can't spell)...xx

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

You're all wonderflu.

What's matte?

How do you get into freelance photography?

Gaahh. I must put my eggs in some baskets and matte and frame them :)
But where do you find the baskets?

See? I am an idiot...also it's tea timne and I'm hunbgry and we've just got back from Leeds and it's so nice to find all these lovely comments waiting:)
Thank you all for being so very supportive:)

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

And in case you didn't notice I wasn't checking my typos :)
You can have fun guessing what I mighthave been intending to say.

(I like wonderflu though...I've come back with a cold)

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Himself told me 'Speak ENGLISH.....mounts, not mattes.'

Mounts? LOL
Those coloured paper frame thingies you put around the photos before you frame them?

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Ah! american for mounts...now makes perfect sense even to me :)

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh, I thought you meant matte, as in a mat print (not a shiny print)

I sometimes print photos onto inkjetfriendly canvas. . . you can get great effects

then, if you're clever, you can wrap the canvass around the frame, so it's like a block print (no need for glass either) (kinda of funky and trendy - imagine that lichen picture as a wrap around! cool)

get The Beep to sell them on his stall for you! or do little postcard packs, 5 in a pack say

mind you, whenever it was I used to make and sell stuff it was an awful lot of graft for not very much money - unless you are very popular (which your stuff would be) (my humble talents were nothing like as good as yours!)

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

the other thing I thought was local wildlife/countryside photo editor for your local paper - or a magazine?

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Thank you I for those very interesting ideas :)I suspect that local papers are bombarded by hundreds of very good local amateurs eager to get their pics in the paper for free but I can certainly ask!
And I may be looking the Beep up tomorrow (visiting Fran in Oxford).
Hmm. things are looking up :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home