Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In which my left and right brains are severely challenged and rearranged

Oops. I've just filled the kitchen with smoke.
Brrr, now I've made the whole house cold.
However, all is well.
Yesterday, we got the immersion heater fixed. One more leaky thing down and two to go - it turned out the immersion heater was another leaky thing not just a watery one. It took all day and wasn't keen to fit in the allotted space so there was a sigh of relief all round when it finally filled up and the water got hot again - just in time for Barney's shower when he got home. And well in time for me to have one this morning. Isn't it funny how these things always go wrong just after you've said, Oh I really haven't got time for a shower today - I'll do it in the morning!

Finally, I've been through all the holiday pics. The other holiday people can come and see them any time. Only I have this feeling that they may not want to see 800 photos in one evening. So there's still a bit of sorting to do, of the sorted ones. But for me, it's like reliving the holiday. I can watch a slideshow and see the water gliding past and remember each picture as it was taken and what I was hoping to produce and what I actually saw. Every so often I think, "what on earth did I take that for?" and occasionally - quite often - "Oh I knew that wouldn't come out" and sometimes "what were you thinking when you took that!!!!". And now and then"Oh wow! That came out!!" Oh and quite often "Gaah! Idiot! Missed it!".
I've deleted over 4000 pictures.

Then, feeling a bit smug, I thought, wouldn't it be nice to print a few out. Perhaps as a little booklet. The idea took hold and suddenly I found myself fiddling around with the picture package thingie which I use to arrange pictures on a page so that they come out the way I want them - not!
See, the obvious thing to do is print each sheet of A4 so that you have two A5 pages with two pictures on each, er, a front page and a back page. Umm, and then on the other side a back page and a front page.
Right. And oops! you don't want the pictures on the back pages to follow the pictures on the front pages, they need to be taken from the end of the holiday - in reverse order- so that as you lok through the booklet you follow the pictures in the order they were taken. And then of course when you arrange the pages, the pictures at the top of each page need to end up opposite the ones they are following in the final booklet not following the ones at the other end of the final booklet.
With me so far?
Yes, I thought not.

Well and then when it comes to printing, you do have to make sure that the pictures come out on each side of the page facing the same way up! And it was at this stage that I nearly fell apart altogether since the printer produces the pictures the opposite way up from the way they are displayed on the screen. And back to front.
Which is to say that when you put the sheet with the first lot of pictures already printed on it, back into the printer to do the next lot on the back you have to make sure that they're going to emerge upside down and back to front - and face down of course. But you knew that didn't you?
Hahahaha!
Oh didn't you? Neither did I. Wasn't it a good thing I decided to print one pair of pages before doing the whole lot!

Well now I have pages 1-4 from the front and sort of x- minus 4x from the back (because I'm not sure how many pictures I'm going to do yet. So I'm doing the whole booklet from two directions at once - the back pages from the end of the holiday, backwards, and the front pages from the beginning , forwards). And they're all the same way up and they seem to be in the right chronological order. So far. It'll be interesting to see if they meet in the middle :)

Amazingly, the black ink didn't run out until I'd got to the end of the first stage of the marathon.
I am always slightly amused by the way it says,
"the black ink has run out

change

the ink cartridge"

And then it says
"the printer cover is open

Close

the cover"

Oh look, A wish arrive on the carpet:)

And I got to walk in the woods in the sun :)
Got to go an unravel my brain now.
Sleep well :)

11 comments:

At 3:34 AM, Blogger Mel said...

k.

Lemme try this one again when my brain works.

LOL
You do realize that could be in 2011, right?

Happy printing oh person who understands what she's doing!

And hugs.....cuz I can......

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Dear Mel, now I've had a night's sleep I can't remember how I got all the pages to work! Perhaps it was all a dream! Certainly what I wrote last night won't help me to do any more!
And hugs to you you too :) Always.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Betty F said...

LOL Mig! That is the worst part! Forgetting just HOW you accomplished something the day before. I get all muddled trying to print booklets too. Love your photos. You live in such a beautiful place. I want to spend a day in those woods with the sun shining just like that. Thanks for sharing your "yard"

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Ah.
Well, perhaps the answer is to get tired and fuzzy again?

Nope. LOL

I reread the instructions and danged if it's any clearer on a fuzzed, tired brain!
'Course, one must remember it's Mel's brain....LOL

I'm tellin' ya.....2011!!!
;-)

(Is she home yet?! Geeze...I so miss her little self!)

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Welcome to my yard any time Betty :)

Oh Mel, my instructions never work - unless it's for cooking rice - I just like to share that 'tied up in knots' feeling :) Cos I'm such a generous soul you know?
Missing her too. I keep checking. I can't believe it's not time for her to be back yet!
(((((( Mel )))))

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Rimshot said...

I think I understood that! (yay me!)

Have a glorious day and a most wonderful weekend!!!

luv n' hugs,

'Shot

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

You must have prior experience then 'shot? Either way the cleverness is amazing :)
luv'n'hugs too :)

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

*sigh*

I forgot to show you the little books when you were here. . .

*frowns*

mind you, given what tou've accomplished I might just have to be visiting you, to learn a thing or two! I never worked out how to get the pictures in any kind of order. . .

clever you

hugs and love and all sorts of other stuff

XXXXXX

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

ARGH!!! so carried away with the little books, I forgot to write how beautiful that wish on the gorgeous red carpet is!!

and the ferns. . . just like the ones in the French pine forests

gorgeous

:-)

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

If these are the pictures of a ravelled brain Mig then an unravelled one must be extraordinary (as indeed I know they are cos I've seen them!)

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I'll come again and see little books dear I ! (Please :)
And Ooh! French pine forests :)
Can't wait to hear about the holiday :)
xxx

Fortunately the camera knows which way is up ovagirl :) Or the pictures might have been confusing :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home