Monday, January 07, 2008

Batten down the hatches

While they lift the lid....
Off the septic tank.
Out here in the cosy, wilderness that is rural Berkshire, we don't have street lights, mains water or gas, or mains drainage. We have septic tanks*. Very efficient they are too and probably very 'green'. (though we won't think too hard about the colour).
Anyway, once in a while we have to phone Mr Clearwise who sends along one of his nice yellow tankers and there's a bit of a slurp and sludge and there it is, all gone to a better place inside the yellow bellied tanker. (lesser yellow bellied tanker since the greater variety won't fit in through our gate).

I just thought I'd share that with you.

While waiting for the arrival of the lesser yellow bellied tanker I had an assignment to do. Last night, we watched a programme about 6 amateur photographers competing for the chance to get their photos exhibited in an important London Gallery and to have a book published. It was very interesting and naturally**, at the end of the programme Barney Bear drew my attention to the website where you can send your own photos to be critiqued and, who knows, maybe even chosen to be entered in some similar event.

Ok so I looked at the site and I found that this week's entry should be a self portrait. Er, I quote, "think of an iconic portrait, an image that embodies the essence of a person, an idea or the spirit of the times
Then think, what if that person were me?"
I have a bit of a problem with "iconic portrait" I really don't know which ones are iconic and which ones not. I looked up some stuff in the National Gallery portrait competition for 2007 and there were some stunning ones. But what if they were me? No it's no good, I can't see it. I am me. How can I imagine being them?
OK, an idea? A portrait that embodies an idea. Right. Oh dear I'm fresh out of ideas (unless you count the rather nice one of suddenly becoming a phenomenally successful photographer and being on telly and having a gallery exhibition and getting a book published. Somehow I don't think that's the sort of idea they have in mind. Further I'm really not sure my body is up to embodying such a thing)
The spirit of the times? Hmm. How does the 56 year old rather ordinary looking grandma embody the spirit of the times? And which spirit? do we really think there is a single spirit of these times? (That gives me an idea. Probably a) too gimmicky and b) too ambitious. Something to do with multiple images)

So this morning, not bright, but early (in anticipation of the imminent arrival of the lesser yellow bellied tanker) I snapped a few dawns and then set about taking a self portrait. Making full use of the flattering early morning sun in the bathroom (that's where the early morning sun arrives around here. By the time it gets to any of the other rooms it's turned into the harsh mid-morning light).

Somewhat bleary, I propped the tripod up in various places around the bathroom and pressed things and fiddled with settings and generally sort of let the camera take some photos for me. Then I finished getting up and the yellow belly arrived and later still, I had a look at what I'd taken.
Well, I'm not sure about iconic, but they're definitely me, there's a clear idea of 'when can I go back to bed' and there's a strong sense of the spirit of the time...08 something or other in the morning.

And having said all that, you know what? I'm really quite pleased with them :)



This is what you get when you're noticing a grubby patch on the shower door and the photographer says "don't forget to look at the camera"
Tomorrow I shall try and do some smiley ones :) Maybe I shall try running and jumping past the camera. In the garden. If it's not raining. Maybe I shall put the camera in the gateway and then drag the wheelie bin up the hill past it. Spirit of the times see :)


*We don't of course have to drink, cook or get light from the septic tank - we have bore hole water, a gas tank and electricity for all that.
**He doesn't do computers, websites or any of that stuff himself but he has touching faith that anyone else can find anything he wants out there on the www somewhere. Like, for instance, gainful employment for me.

3 comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh, the further adventures of the septic tank......been there, done that.... You can't manufacture that smell. LOL Why would ya wanna?!

Black and white--last one.
That's IF you were looking for opinions. LOL
If not....ummmmm.....

Ya know, we needed one of ya watching fireworks with a grandbaby.
DO OVERS!
Wouldn't THAT be fun! (for everyone but the neighbours...LOL)

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Thursday said...

I like the third one.

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Eww de toilet as the yellow belly's driver said to me :) I laughed politely and shut the door as soon as possible:)

In the end I picked a completely different one. Just to be perverse :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home