Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Another day begins-

Another year.
Well it did this morning. I've been too busy today today to pay much attention but I've just noticed my date thingie says 2008. Well it would wouldn't it!
Bets on how soon I write the wrong date on something?
The last day of 2007 involved a lot of glasses being used, at least three (possibly twenty, it got really hard to tell) small people and about twenty (or maybe less) grown-up people. An awful lot of food (the curry was especially good). Fireworks. The biggest bonfire in the world (the bits of the world closest to here anyway).
This morning (by a close and rather dopey margin, not quite afternoon) involved the same glasses, the same small people (now resolved, out of the blur of last night, into definitely three) and the remaining grown-ups.
Barney is now cooking* in the sitting room with Grandad...Father in Law that is, who is also Great-Grandad. Great-Grand-FatherinLaw-Dad gave us this for Christmas. It's a rather marvellous tin and contains a sort of cake thing. And, looking at the tin, wouldn't you say it probably has strawberries in it? Well, if you thought so, you'd be wrong. Cake, of a sort, there is. Strawberries there are none.
Plenty of chocolate though so who's complaining?
And for Christmas I got (among other wonderful things) a ticket to spend a whole day photographing birds of prey at the Hawk Conservancy Trust.!!!! I am savouring this idea daily and trying to decide when will be the best weather to go and play with hawks :)
Meanwhile I am considering what I ought to decide to do during 2008. Barney will almost certainly decide to give up smoking several times (he's still got the cold, now with cough). I may decide to stop too for a while but the last time I did that it wasn't as rewarding as advertised. I don't know.
Fact is, there isn't a lot of big change I want to make to my life right now. There are things I want to tighten up and tidy but I can't make them sound like big decisions. I suspect that one or two of my teeth may decide to leave (the baconbone-struck tooth hasn't come out but it hasn't settled back in either).
I might decide to sleep more but I'm always doing that (deciding I mean, not sleeping) so it wouldn't be a particularly earth shattering decision.

The fact is, maybe because these days I can talk about myself whenever I like, over here, I'm actually getting a bit bored with myself. Yet I go rabbiting on anyway.
Oh! right. I'll stop then. for tonight :)

*No this time I mean being cooked, metaphorically speaking. The length of time Great-Grand-Fatherinlaw-Dad is allowed to stay with us is governed by the length of time Barney can stand the heat in the sitting room.

4 comments:

At 3:28 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh Mig.....what a wonderful thing to have family!
(I can say this, can't I--seeings I have so small of one...)

And gosh, what a grand way to usher in the New Year.
And WOW what a splendid fire.
If I knew I had that coming up--I'd suddenly have room in the basement storage room....and himself screaming madly, dashing around with a fire extinguisher. LOL

Joyous New Year, lady!
(I've resolved, once again, to not resolve! Wish me luck?)

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Family is wonderful Mel. We couldn't do without ours :).
We certainly ushered the year in noisily. Probably that's why the neighbours came and joined in, so they wouldn't have to listen to it all next door :)
Joyousness to you too (and a few splashy ducks OK?) and I do indeed wish you luck!

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger OvaGirl said...

Hi Mig
Looked like a fantabulous night, love those portraits of your family and the two elderly gentlemen (!) by the light of the fire. How wonderful re the impending Day With The Hawks, that sounds amazing and I look forward to seeing your pics from the day. I hope 2008 is great, for you and your family.
xxOG

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Wishing the same to you OG. I've so enjoyed reading about gorgeous Tricky :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home