Sunday, December 16, 2007

It's my printing day

It is the day for printing everything.
100 Christmas cards, two pics of Fran's wedding dress for the MiL-to-be, a whole lot of versions of an advert Barney wants in a trade mag, some more brewery cards for the lovely Magg's, several lists, and maybe, just because I'd like to, a couple of pictures to frame. A purply sunrise, maybe and perhaps a few dancing leaves :)
Tomorrow I will be courting Word Rage again by attempting a mail merge.
I have managed to achieve one or two mail merges in the past but I think those were in a different version of Office so without doubt the procedure will now be different (and anyway it was unrepeatably baffling then)
I have re-writtten the lost Christmas card list. It's still awfully long. (You'd think I might have lost a few in the re-write)

So many tasks - so little time. Well actually there's lots of time. What's missing is, how shall I say? 'Time management skills'? No? how about, 'sufficient investment of hours' ? No?
OK. 'Get up and do' is what's missing (particularly the getting up part).
Put it this way, If I arrive somewhere, you know I was really really keen to get there (or I suppose, really really convinced I needed to be there).
I was musing on my resistance to 'doing' while having a ('nother) last cup of tea and cig in the middle of the other night (anything to delay getting on with getting ready for bed) and I found myself wondering why I have such enormous resistance to 'doing'.
After all, many of the things I resist doing are quite enjoyable, give sometimes satisfying and often useful results and aren't really all that hard.
Like


Getting up
Brushing my teeth
Taking the dog out
Going out
Cleaning things
Putting on my shoes and socks
Changing to go out
Hanging up the washing
Doing the washing
Hoovering
Sewing up the multitudinous garments which are currently held together with safety pins
Getting ready for bed

You'll maybe have noticed that it's quite a mundane, if slightly odd, list.

So there I was, smoking, sipping tea, eyeing the last fifty pages of the new Terry Pratchett and occasionally thinking "I really MUST go to bed now - soon - before 1.30 - 2.00 .....".
And then thinking, Why do I resist putting my shoes and socks on??? Teeth? Getting ready for bed - I really would like to be asleep now !? (although I really would like to read the last fifty pages....)
And then I thought some more. And then just now I wrote some of those thoughts down. Then we had dinner and I came back and read it all and thought "OMG that's so boring" and deleted the lot.
It's far more interesting to follow the draught of cold air that reliably freezes my feet when I'm at the computer and to discover that it's coming in through the window and that if I arrange a number of garments* along the bottom of the curtains it is hugely reduced. (As long as the fire is lit, because if the fire isn't lit you could practically generate electricity with the draught that comes down the chimney. And then, of course, you could run a little heater off it and keep your feet warm that way. Maybe. My stepfather used to keep a little fan heater under his computer desk.)

Right. Well. there's a cracking frost developing out there tonight and I'd quite like to get up early and take some frosty pictures. So I must go and do some of those things on that list of resistable things. So that I can go to bed soon.
But first, I'd just like to umm...do something else for a little while. Not long. Just a quick, er, something or other.

G'night :)

*scarves, fleeces, socks etc. And a woolly hat.

Labels: , , ,

2 comments:

At 4:49 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh, anything but the mundane!

Right.
Must pick up the livingroom, turn off the holiday lights, brush teeth, get in jammies and all that jazz.
And I will.......eventually.
First I have some weblogs to read....and maybe a few pages of that book......and
OH LOOK......a chicken!
Really.
Someone (who's name shall remain anonymous) move the chicken from the guest room to the livingroom.
And where'd the Hippo go?! I'm thinkin' I better locate him.
*humming the hippo song*

Wait.
I was gonna do something....wasn't I?

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

OH LOOK... a chicken!
Of course. I shall adopt a chicken :)That will solve all my problems. Thank you lovely Mel :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home