Sunday, January 13, 2008

And here's a rather happier bunny*

Also a rather more awake one :)
I was tempted to use photoshop to desaturate the nose. When younger, the children always noticed, and mentioned, the, ah, pinkness of my nose. Particularly after a drink.
Now they are older they don't mention it so often because, of course, they have grown more tactful. How long, I wonder, before the grandchild and her siblings begin to ask why Grandma's nose is so red...I mean pink.
Anyway, it's a fine nose and promises fair to develop along the family lines (the dutch family I think, somewhere between my Grandmother's potato - her description, not mine - and my grandfather's, which was of splendidly Roman proportions). So I shall leave it in all it's roseate glory.

Now I have a very dear friend who didn't like the earlier self portraits. She says they're not me! (I hope she'll like this better :) But as I told her, I see a lot more of me than she does and most often without the benefit of her sunny personality brightening up the ambient temperature:)
So who is the person we see first thing in the morning in the mirror? Is that truly ourselves? self? I'm getting my quantities mixed up here. And who is the person that other people see? Both, I think are constructs. From the eye and mind of the beholder. And of course, the artifacts we add to enhance the way we appear.... You know, combing the hair and straightening the collar and if you really want to go to town, putting on make-up. (Now I'm mixing up the persons singular, plural and other)
See, I don't believe a single portrait can capture the whole essence of a person. The miracle is that a photo can capture any of the bits of the essence. The other miracle is we are so many people. No? Maybe only some of us are many. I don't really know. Maybe my friend who doesn't like me to look grumpy in the morning is always sunny and optimistic and outward looking? From dawn to dusk. I know I am not always the same. So tell me, are you?

In spite of promises made recklessly I seem to be fresh out of chickens and I can't find any creeping light (there must be some somewhere on the computer but it's a bit late and I'm quite knackered) but it's been rather splendidly stormy recently and here's a very stormy sky :)
So goodnight. Sleep well.
*Because of the reappearance of a VERY IMPORTANT PERSON :) Yay!

6 comments:

At 2:41 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh Mig--sleepy/grumpy or doc...LOL They're all you and they're all precious.
Thank you.

Am I more than one person?

Ask the kiddos who flock around me on Thursday night WHY they fly away come Friday morning. LOL Growly and owly--gimme my coffee and a wide berth. ;-)
I get to be a grown up at work. It's kinda required.
Don't get me wrong--there's a whole lotta play, too....but I'm much more responsible and adult-like at work.
I even require good manners at the dinner table.
But lemme come home with my shoes off and the suit gone....hand over the colours, gimme NOW and I want, I want, I want and will whine and carry on til himself laughs at the futility and surrenders to my whims.

The woman of many colours, I suspect.
*shrugs*
It works for me......as of today.
Now, come tomorrow--it may not.

Lovely photo of the storm.
And a grand way of celebrating the homecoming!

(((((((( Mig )))))))))))

Two years of putting up with me and my whiney childlike ways....LOL You two deserve a medal.

((((((( ILTV )))))))))


Break out the balloons and we'll have a party!!!

I'll bring sidewalk chalk and playdough! Oh....and funky straws, of course!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Two years eh? Seems like five minutes! No putting up needed Mel, my life would be the poorer, duller and er, maybe a little simpler without you two!
Yay! a party. I'll bring balloons. and fizzy ginger ale with cocktail sticks with umbrellas and pink elephants on the end. Oh and lots of cherries and cubes of ice with rose petals in them.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oooh, I love ginger ale. . .

and cocktail stick umberellas!! and pink elephants and cherries and the ice cubes sound wonderful. . .

as do I love sidewalk chalk and playdough - tell you what, I'll bring my Martha Stewart Noah's Ark cookie cutters (all three boxes - yes, I once had the second best xmas present of my wohle life!)(they cut anything!)(or we could find a sandbox and put some turf over part of it and stick them in that, like a zoo. . .)

I'm not the person I thought I was at all right now - I seem to be this person that I was a long time ago, who I thought I'd managed to supress and hide from; she looks at me in the mirror in the morning and the reflection looks back saying "so, what happened to you then?" kind of like a reverse Mary Poppins (you know that scene)

it's very weird

gone is the creativity and the zest for life, but gone too is the panic and the anxiety and the stomach churning and the fear and desperation and the rushing heart and the palpitations and the trembling

I don't know which is better for me, but this new person is better for the children

I think

but I don't know

don't really know much anymore, the other me used to

but I do know my/this life has been greatly enriched by the serendipity of finding a comment from Starbender whilst randomly "next blogging" one day and thus being found by mel and also a greater connection to you mig

and I do know I love that stormy sky. . .

:-)

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Party time :) Yay! I'll bring my red and blue Peruvian rug.

There are times when calm is needed more than zest aren't there? And the rain and gloom don't help but the drugs will perhaps keep you on an even keel for long enough to rediscover zest. And will give you a rest from battles. We all need that sometimes.
However, I see no lack of creativity :) And the enrichment has been mutual. I'm very grateful you still find time to blog, I missed you a lot :)

Wishes and hugs dear I.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

:-D

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

(you are very wise. . .)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home