Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Tesco's awful strawberries and other things

I got a reply today and Oh dear, I've had to send Tesco another email. I think it was the line saying "and we'll all work hard to stop this happening again" that set me off. So earnest and full of childlike promise. 'And they all worked hard together ever after' Cute. Folksy. Yuk.

(Reply From Tesco)

Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the quality of the Strawberries from our Newbury store. I understand how disappointed you must have been to find the items were below the standard you expected.

We select our fresh food suppliers with great care and always inspect the produce on freshness and quality when it arrives at our distribution depots. Staff in store also check the produce again on delivery and keep an eye on it while it's on sale. They also remove any items they feel are sub-standard.

It seems that we failed to apply this process properly and I apologise for that. I've passed your complaint to the Store Manager and we'll all work hard to stop this from happening again.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to let us know.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES4056795X.

Kind Regards

'helpful employee with good personal skills'
Tesco Customer Service


So this is what I sent today

Thanks for your reply and your apology.

However, I'm not sure you read my email.

My comment was not about the 'freshness' of the strawberries. They were perfectly fresh. The strawberries were not overripe or lacking in freshness, they were hard and tasteless. They were in fact not ripe although the bright red colour made them look as though they were.

Also you failed to answer two questions I asked you.

Are the strawberries genetically modified or irradiated?

I now ask another two questions.

What process does your supplier use to make the strawberries look ripe when they are not?

And will your staff in store now remove these substandard items from the shelves?

By all means do pass on my comment to the store manager and work hard to stop this happening again. I hope you all succeed.

Yours

'evil, snide customer'


You'd think I had better things to do with my time than playing games with tesco. Well you've got to have a bit of fun sometimes and really, truly, the little hard red things ought not to be on the shelves. Not under the descriptions, sweet, juicy or strawberry anyway.

Meanwhile, making all thoughts of hyper-bad store people irrelevant, the plasterers have arrived to pebble dash our front wall. The green elastoplast (tarp) has gone and as I speak, a shower of pebbles is being thrown at the cement they put up over the last two days. A lot of it is also falling down around the window below, highly reminiscent of the day it all fell down! As it began and all that.

The next few days is looking like being more hectic than even the last weekend. Eldest arriving with Marmite, lovely partner arriving tomorrow, a 50th (Impossible!!! a person I remember bathing as a very small pink babe :) birthday in London on Saturday to which Middle daughter and her partner are coming with us. Er, Youngest's partner's birthday (What to get him???We can't afford a motor bike and we haven't been able to find him a field. No we couldn't aford one of those either but he just wants to buy one to keep it green and pastoral for ever.) Eldest will hopefully sort out the email badness. Oh I do hope so!

Oh and I have been given money!!!! For my cards!!!! One shop bought 20 straight off and the Art shop sold six and gave me a Cheque!!!!
!!!!
:)
*speechless*
Well, yesterday I went into Town very early. Really. Before anybody else except BT and the rubbish men. And a few odd bods. Just me and the sunrise, rising rapidly up behind a cloud bank. So much for photos of an unpeopled Newbury glowing in the dawn. Still I took some.
This is the one I am most proud of. The photo wasn't very bad or very good. But the photoshop session was extensive and involved much learning curve steepness and I went to bed triumphant.
It really isn't a photo any more. You wouldn't be sure whether you were in the right place if you stood where I took the original. I've removed signs and bits of wood and pipes and wires and added a sunset from six months ago.
So here's the original.

And here are two versions, one cropped slightly more than the other. Would you be very kind and tell me which crop looks best?*

The lady in another shop wants more cards of Newbury landmarks so I've got to decide quickly otherwise I'd leave it a week and look again.
Later the sun came out (along with all the people and cars and buses and vans thus limiting the options for pretty views)
And later still, I thought "oh the fox is back". But he wasn't :)

*sorry to be boring. Really I'll try not to do photos in pairs again :)

Labels: , , , , ,

7 comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh, decisions, decisions.

I like the first crop better than the second.
And wow.....talk about a transition from the original photo!
Isn't it amazing. We no longer have to await a sunrise, we can photoshop one in. LOL

Getting money is WAY cool, btw.
Getting that pebble stuff done (finally) is way cool.
Getting to spend time with family and friends--cooler than cool!

(and 'boring' is not a word I'd use to describe what I find here, silly woman!)

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Mel said...

And pfffffffffft to Tesco.

:-P

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger frangelita said...

My money is on the second crop. Just to confuse the issue. Who would've thought Newbury could look so romantic?

x

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

I like the second one, because there is slightly more focus on the pub sign. . .

well done for making some good money! good luck with the local landmarks!

:-)

(and good for you for giving Tesco a run for their money. . .)

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

oh, and because I like the bridge coming straight in from the bottom left hand corner

very strong, visually IMHO

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Mel said...

LOL Well then. I surrender to the second for all the reasons listed above.

I like the photo, period.
But it would seem that I like 99.9% of them around this place.
And that's NOT just cuz I have a fondness for the photographer! ;-)

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh aren't you all so lovely :)
Thanks for the votes. (And you're absolutely right about the bridge I)
Yeah, sometimes I feel a bit as though I'm cheating Mel. But it's such fun :)
Romantic! I hadn't thought of it that way Fran :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home