Monday, September 03, 2007

Time for changes

It's been slowly dawning on me that Picasa has limitations. When you edit a photo with it and save the result, it firmly saves at a much lower file size and resolution. Very good for space saving but not so good for the picture.* At the same time I read last month's copy of photoshop focus (yes, I'm so nerdy about photography I even read 'how to' magazines) and discovered a whole new lot of lovely things to do with photos. Damn it, there's even a tool for lightening shadows and revealing all the stuff that's hidden in them. Pasting different exposures together and then erasing the bad bits to show the good bits is very time consuming and doesn't work very well if you forgot your tripod or if it was windy so all the trees and clouds have moved between shots!
Just look what the shadow/highlight thing does!
To this picture.Picasa was too easy. No free lunches. No free edits. Back to the drawing board!!!!
On the other hand if you just want to play with an image quickly, it's still great.
Like this oneEr, sorry. Just getting a bit carried away there. I'll try and be more, um, less, er...well I'll just shut up about photoshop now :). Spell check thinks I should have said photos hop. Is that like photos rock, but vertically?
I hop.
No it doesn't have quite the right ring. I suppose that's how you can tell the computer isn't really alive even if it sometimes seems to do things with malice aforethought. It could be that the aforethought malice originates with the programmers. But then you should never assume malice where plain stupidity will account for things.**

Have a pppurple pppoppy. With black bits :)And sleep well :)

*I realised this when I compared a picture straight from photoshop and the same version after sharpening in Picasa and the sharpened one was less sharp than the photoshop one!
**Though I feel so much in awe of people who are able to make programmes that will tell computers how to do what I want even when I tell it the wrong things that maybe I have to veer back to malice aforethought.***
***Then again, it's easy to say they ought to be able to get it right since they're so clever when you haven't a clue what they are doing anyway because it's so difficult. And probably boring and repetitive and stressful and really, almost as bad as being at this end of the programmes!****
****I feel quite bad now since the computer hasn't done anything really evil for quite a while.

Though the email people have!

5 comments:

At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, please don't tell me I need to stop using Picasa and learn how to use Photoshop. *Sigh*

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

We-e-ll, no Thursday. I'm probably being picky. After all Joe Brown's prints come up pretty fantastic.
(but the light and shadow thing is marvellous :)

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

love the fountain! and the purple thingy. . .

:-)

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Mel said...

*nodding*

I'm liking the purple thingy.
And since I have no clue how to even OPEN photoshop all I can say is 'well done'! ;-)

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

The purple thingy is going to market next time I :)
Opening photoshop is half the problem Mel ...it take ages and if you forget and close it by mistake it takes ages all over again :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home