Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I had some good random thoughts last night

but I've forgotten them.
Never mind. Encouraged by getting a nice new free upgrade mob, I went and bought myself my very own Nintendo DS lite. This is not so I can play nintendo games (whatever they are) but so I can TRAIN MY BRAIN. Remember Eldest's desire to improve my brain? Well when he and lovely partner and Marmite came to visit, he didn't bring his game for me to borrow so I decided to get my own.*
Later, when I get fed up with finding out how old my brain is I can give it to someone as a birthday present :) This will not be cheapskate and stingy as I shall look after it very very carefully!
Furthermore, I took the Vodafone by the horns and phoned them (should that be foned them?) and have ordered a new sim card with the pac number which Frangelita finally managed to extract from them (since she is already herself and didn't have to pretend to be) and have set everything in place for the arrival of my old phone number on my new card in seven days time. I have to remember to fone Vodafone again on the day!
Also as mentioned the other day, I have purchased a replacement for my old pda. Really I only used it to make me feel secure about my calendar and address book in Outlook. but the change to Vista rendered it obsolete.
It sometimes used to suddenly forget that it was a partner with my pc...or maybe it was the pc that forgot, I was never sure. But after a good deal of cursing and help file searching I always managed to get it working again without losing anything. Until Vista when I forgot to keep it charged and it suddenly forgot who it was itself and probably will never work again. Unless someone would like a reasonably functional pda with all bits and pieces and several spare charging and connecting bits? Going spare and as far as I know still potentially functional with xp or one of the older versions of windows. It runs outlook, word and excel and could even be made wireless, I believe. (though I harbour doubts about this)
Anyway, today's final mission, should I choose to accept it, is to get the new pda working. It's a navman (a rather old model I suspect) and according to various reviews, will offer pda facilities as well as either helping me find my way around the world or getting me lost and throwing wobblies when I tell it we've gone wrong.
I was assured by Comet (who I hate, in case you didn't notice) that if it didn't work with vista I could return it. I've established that it hasn't got a straightforward way of working with vista but it does have windows mobile with which vista (apparently) is compatible. And I didn't tell Comet that I've spoken to Navman support so I'm going to try it out. And then if it fails miserably I shall go and raise hell in Comet which will be fun.
After I've had a shower and e't some toast. This could be a long session. Thank heavens I've trained my brain already today (age currently 64. Could do better).
After I've attempted the Navman connection thing, I need to get everything ready for tomorrow's market. Do I really want to be up at five am, trundling off to unload heaps of stuff in the market place and struggling with the car parking conundrums? Dunno. Certainly I won't tomorrow morning but for now it doesn't look like a too awful idea.

*What do you mean, it's just a game? I don't do computer games. It's just a....training Not-Game. See.

UPDATE: Wow. It works. Full marks to Vista. It found the pda, opened its windows mobile thingy and connected all without me having to do anything except say yes! Oh and windows thought a good alternative to pda might be pea. I shall call it the pea from now on. The pea immediately reminded me I have three birthdays to deal with. So I'd better :)
Tomorrow I may even dare look into the navigation stuff. Probably this will be a sad failure :) But I live in hopes.
Maybe I'll take the manual (dummy) so I can read, learn and digest wile all the punters at the market are not-buying my cards. If I take the brain game...I mean braintraining not-game, as well, people will think I am very cool and playing games :)

Afterthought: Now I won't be able to go and raise hell in Comet. That's a shame.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

5 comments:

At 12:27 AM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

you go, girl!

crikey, I'm really impressed!!

your brain is going to be so HUGE after all that training!!!

(I saw an advert for one of those brain trainers when I took The Teen into a shop called GAME the other day - are they really meant for people like us? why has the marketing missed me out! does it burn calories too?!)

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

I do go indeed!!!
I strongly suspect I, that if you were to check your brain age on this machine, it would be hugely impressed and say your brain is nearly at optimum age. (then it would add, but you can always improve on it, though it only goes as young as twenty)
The only calories it burns are the ones involved in unwrapping the packaging I'm afraid :)

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

;-)

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Mel said...

*sigh*

Alas....I tried that braingame thingy at my sisters home.

*blushing*
Shall I just say I flunked and get it over with? LOL

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Hoho:) Do you remember when I tied it at Eldest's home I scored an age of 84? I can do better now :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home