Friday, August 03, 2007

Pastoral delights

Today I got up early, surprising Barney on his way up with my cup of tea (neat timing that) in order to make an attempt on the early morning mist. Missed it by a couple of hours actually but no matter. I caught it last night in the moonlight.
Still it seemed like a good idea to wander off down to the scenes of last week's rural floods and I thought I'd investigate a lake which was dug in the grounds of a local public prep school a few years ago. By now, I reasoned, it ought to have grown a good lot of undergrowth and be looking quite picturesque.
Well yes and I was certainly right about the undergrowth. Acres of well grown thistle and nettle surrounded it and a few quite nice trees. Good. and although the mist was gone, the dew (?) remained. All fairly knee deep but a photographer must be prepared to swish through this sort of thing right ?
So I did that, pausing to climb over various horsey event type obstacles which might have made me expect horsesh' here and there. There was that! After a while I sat in some. Inadvertently of course what with the slightly slippery dewyness and the wandering backwards through the pastoral richness. At least it wasn't cowsh'.
No problem. It's not a long walk and oops, the last bit is up the road. Quite a well used road. Used by local people, several of whom I am acquainted with. Really, the last thing I want is the word to go round at the local pub that I had been seen the other day walking up the road with a spreading brown stain on the seat of my trousers - as we're already well known for our slight eccentricity! On top of which (er, maybe I should rephrase that). As well as which, I think I ate something a bit old yesterday and it was getting to be a matter of some gentle but insistent urgency to get home to the loo. So there I was, walking with a slightly stiff-legged gait (as you do when your backside is clinging to a sticky brown dampness and something is trying to get out that shouldn't be in) and it seemed wise whenever anyone drove past, to leap out of their way and press myself into the hedge as if to give them more room. So what with the nettles and thistles and thorns, and other discomforts I was really, really glad to get home.
And I found this lying on the ground at the front door :)

And it's only ten oclock. What shall I do next?

Labels: , , ,

3 comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Mel said...

*happy sigh*

You find such wonderful things to capture and share with us.
And oh, the woes of a wandering photographer! LOL
The good news is you had the hedges as a resource?

Well worth the crappy moment from where I sit. LOL But I wasn't sitting in horsey pooh. :-D

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

mel has summed it up perfectly. . .

and that last image is a treat to behold (I'm trying not to think of your sh' dilemma to be perfectly honest - but sympathise hugely with you)(nothing worse that not being near a loo when one needs one as a matter of urgency!)(apart from having a bottom covered in sh' and a long walk home, possibly?)

hope you found something relaxing to do next, and that your stomach behaved itself - and hope that now you are enjoying the wonderful sunshine

:-)

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

wandering woefully and falling over things seems to be part of my life at the moment Mel. But never mind, as long as the photos give you pleasure I'm happy :)

The sunshine is WONDERFUL I and I'm enjoying it lots. And it was a short walk so really no big problem. So glad you like the flower :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home