Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Reporter's Mother Scoops at Cropredy

Well not yet but we can live in hopes.
I'm all of a dither. My daughter, the reporter, has arranged for me to take pictures at Fairport Reunion's annual festivel (40th Anniversary of the band) at Cropredy, for her newspaper!!! I will be that press person, scurrying around, occcasionally throwing myself (and presumably my camera and tripod) on the ground to get that awesome upside down shot up the Stars' noses, paparazzi fashion and wearing an official wristband!
I don't have a five mile long telephoto lens so maybe I need to make a cardboard cut-out to give my camera the authentic look? What sort of hat should I wear? Do I need one of those many pocketed vest thingies with camera bits festooned all over them? I can manage the world weary drooping fag in corner of mouth look at any rate. And I'm very good at slouching!

Meanwhile my car is in for a service so I can't go off to foreign parts (that's the next county) neither to the backside of B&Q in search of pictures of the canal (for card making purposes). It's quite a relief actually. I've been doing this for the last two (three?) days and coming home, resembling a slightly soggy barbecued object with millions of pictures but not very many good ones. I've confirmed my suspicion that going to a place to look for photos is not at all the same as leaping out of the car and grabbing fifty pics of one inspiring view!
There are some good ones but the vagaries of cloud and camera batteries have cramped my style somewhat. I've discovered that battery no 3 will only take 70 pictures while no's 2 and 4 will take 200 odd each. And No 1 may even stretch to 250!
So yesterday ended with me balanced on a rock between a marsh, a river, a thorny hedge and a delightful little aqueduct on the Kennet and Avon canal, poised to switch the camera on as soon as the clouds (large, white, fluffy and with intermittent gaps) unveiled the sun. They did, I did, and the camera took one last picture and I fell off the rock. The two events being simultaneous so the resultant picture is...interesting. At best. Marshes are soft though so it could have been worse. It could have been the river or the hedge! Or cowsh'! Of which there was a lot.

On the other hand, or in the other hand as it happens, there is the dreaded phone call to the insurance company.
Remember them? Them what don't answer phones or return calls?
Right now, they've assured me (automatically) that my call is important to them and asked me to wait till a thingy becomes available. While waiting for said thingy, I've typed the whole of this post with one hand. With pauses for thought and cigarette rolling.
Thing is, although they were all sorted and the cheques came, duly made out to the chosen contractors, one of the contractors has done his back in. We are interestingly scaffolded but not pebble dashed. He may never be able to do the work. the cheque is made out to him and anyway, as his was the cheapest quote, we may not be able to get anyone else to to the work for that price. So we need to know what the insurance company (currently, no doubt, wading through a million flood insurance claims) will do. And while we have every sympathy with pebble dasher's back problem he might have let us know sooner that he was out of action. And indeed, he rivals the insurance company for non-answering of phones and has no ansaphone on which to leave a message. This is turning out to be yet another epic tale of messages sent out into the electronic void. Unopened virtual bottles floating in the aether! If you should find one washed up on your virtual beach, could you label it "URGENT" and push it out again?

4 comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Oh! OH!! A lovely orange hat with a coloured daisy. Or perhaps a burgandy one with mums?
Or you could go for a Yankee's baseball cap.
OR......

Ah, so many hats, so little time!

Perhaps we'd be better off sending you with an airbag that inflates on impact so we're softening the landing from those edges you teeter on? I bet they make 'em in pretty colours!

Thank goodness no injuries occurred.
One injured artisan is plenty.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Baseball cap would be good Mel. They don't suit me but I'd like that big shady thing at the front to keep the sun out of my eyes :) As for the teetering, I'm hoping I don't have to perch on any edges to get these pics. I might get overexcited and fall off and that would be bad since you have to book slots to get pics if you're a *press photographer* and I won't get a second chance!

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger I, Like The View said...

love the message in the bottle!

serendipity indeed

haven't been blogging much myself, but always lovely to pop over and see what you've been up to

am off with Small People to Cornwall the day after tomorrow - have a lovely time until I catch up with you again, lots of great photos and joyful moments taking them (not injuring yourself, but only falling in soft comfortable non-smelly places)

very imPressed with your new position. . . (but not in the least surprised!)

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger mig bardsley said...

Oh Cornwall, how lovely. And thanks but I plan to avoid falling over as much as possible. Really it's surely only a question of looking where I'm going?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home